Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I've been leaning towards finding a National Match or GCNM, and I have my eye on two. One is pretty nice with a few scratches here and there made in 1966 for $1400.00, no box and non original magazine. The other is a 58 model in nice shape I can probably get for $2200.00 plus tax as it is local to me. Here is a link for when it was for sale last year on Guns America. What do you guys think about condition / vs value. I like the idea of an early NM pistol, especially boxed. Buying the 1958 gun would require me to sell my Ithaca 1911 so I want to be careful with the purchase. Thanks!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/9101080...-ACP-98-PLUS-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-AND-PAPERWOR.htm

·
Registered
324 Posts
You're always better off going for the higher condition complete package if you can swing it. I can't really comment on the price/value. I have a 1967 GCNM with box, papers & dated test target that has a few imperfections. I paid $1200 for it about 8 years ago. Probably not a very good price comparison, but also be aware that there are fake boxes and papers out there. I don't see a test target in the photos, which could be a warning sign.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
In my opinion, most stuff on GA is overpriced. I am very suspicious of the box and papers. The note about the Elliason rear sight should not be with a 1958 pistol, since the Elliason rear sight was not cataloged on the Gold Cup until 1965. I do not think that sight even existed in 1958. Note that the pistol has the correct Accro rear sight.

IF the box and papers were original, $2,200 is a fair price today. A fake box and papers add no value, so maybe $1,800 would be fair for just the pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion, most stuff on GA is overpriced. I am very suspicious of the box and papers. The note about the Elliason rear sight should not be with a 1958 pistol, since the Elliason rear sight was not cataloged on the Gold Cup until 1965. I do not think that sight even existed in 1958. Note that the pistol has the correct Accro rear sight.

IF the box and papers were original, $2,200 is a fair price today. A fake box and papers add no value, so maybe $1,800 would be fair for just the pistol.
This is the stuff I would totally miss. I was aware of the Accro sight and the later Eliason, but never would have but that together. Thank you!! I learn as I go from the experts!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the OP is saying it's back on the market. That is just an old ad for the same gun. Good catch on the paperwork, Judge. My '67 does not have that note with it. The box in the GA ad looks a bit too nice for the vintage of the pistol but not brand new, which would be a dead giveaway. Almost like it was intentionally aged.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone confirm if the style of box is correct for a NM made in 1958? My post on FB has generated a bit of a question about the style of box used for these guns. Would a brown woodgrain box with the handwritten serial be correct or the one shown in my link above? I don't pretend to know anything about boxes at this point, but once again, I'm learnin!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Actually those old junkers should sell for about $800 at best if they still shoot. I was at an auction in Arizona several years ago. A real auction. They had a 57 with a serial number between 100-200. It looked nice but all one could do was look; no field strip etc. I can't remember if it had a box or not. I quit raising my paddle at $1.9K and it went for $2.4K.

I bought a 66 a few years ago from a friend. I had gotten a lot of great deals on Ruger No. 1 rifles from him. He wanted some money to buy another rifle so I bought his 66. He had the original box out in a shed and it had all sorts of six and eight legged critters using it as home. I put it in a big ziplock bag and sprayed it with some bug spray and threw it on the top shelf of my workshop. May look at it in the future. One reason I bought it was I shot bullseye in prep school and college and initially I had a 66 GCNM I used. My old one and the current one I own both had/have the Ellison rear sight. I think 65-66 was the time frame when Colt switched from Accro to Ellison and then brought back the Accro or a similar sight on the Delta Gold Cups in 87-96.

From 57-70 I think it was that Colt put the serial number under the rear sight but of course that means you have to remove the rear sight to check it. Of course the 57-70s also had the lightened slide so you might want to check around the extractor etc in the back for cracks but of course that means at least a field strip of the pistol. And yes the lightened slide existed into the the early MkIV Series 70 pistols in the early 70s. The 57-70 GCNMs had a special barrel bushing and recoil spring plug that are extremely hard to find on the used market. Below my 66 barrel with bushing and plug on the left. In the middle a MkIV Series 70 barrel with the collet or "finger" bushing and on the right a barrel and bushing from a 2012 Gold Cup. I put the normal recoil spring plug one can buy easily on the right which the MkIVs and newer Gold Cups use.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good recap Dakota. Another oddity of this era of Gold Cups is the spring-loaded sear depressor. This thread motivated me to drag my '67 GCNM out of its hiding spot and as I was going through the box I realized that I had left that part out the last time I detail-stripped it, probably in exasperation. Which of course led to about 30 minutes of exasperation re-installing it.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the style of box is correct for a NM made in 1958? My post on FB has generated a bit of a question about the style of box used for these guns. Would a brown woodgrain box with the handwritten serial be correct or the one shown in my link above? I don't pretend to know anything about boxes at this point, but once again, I'm learnin!
Oops! I saw the Elliason note as being too late for the subject gun, but failed to realize that the box should be the wood grain box. (I am trying to think of a good excuse, but can't, other than my Old Timers working overtime.) I base that on the fact that I have a 1961 vintage Gold Cup with the wood grain box. A 1958 vintage Gold Cup should as well.

I think the Sparta Gold Cup "Trophy" boxes come with the Ellaison rear sight note. The subject package is bogus, even if the box is an original.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been collecting images of various National Match pistols as they come up for sale, mostly on Gun Broker, but some elsewhere. This image shows NM # 4191 with what I've seen most commonly box wise with the early pistols.
pix581857716.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts