Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
She's a been buffed for sure, the rollmarks are soft and the Rampant Colt's tail is all but buffed away and other parts of mark are much lighter than they would be for a "98%" Python. I wasn't aware that the front sight had a red insert back in '58. Something isn't right but exactly what I'll leave to the folks that handle these daily.

·
Registered
862 Posts
being new to this collecting hobby the front sight stuck out to me, because of the red insert. As far as the re-blue, guess I still have a lot to learn.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
being new to this collecting hobby the front sight stuck out to me, because of the red insert. As far as the re-blue, guess I still have a lot to learn.
ping10, take a look at my 1957 Python (Thanks again d.a.r.y.l.) in the linked thread below, and notice the sharp and crisp edges and corners throughout the gun. In my photo # 8, (eight from the top), take a look at the edges on the "scallop" where the frame meets the barrel and compare it with photo # 8 in the Gun Broker listing. Do you see how buffed and smooth the re-finished Python looks in comparison? Now compare other common edges, corners, and roll marks and this same difference should be clear to you. Another feature to compare are the edges of the barrel vents in both Pythons. In the earliest Pythons, you will find the sharpest edges and they are always removed when the gun is refinished. Let us know what you see.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/52646-1957-colt-python-357-thanks-forum-member-d-r-y-l.html

·
Registered
892 Posts
Definite re-blue, new front site and silver medallions. But if your intensions are the have an early shooter $2200 is not a bad price...maybe?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
ping10, take a look at my 1957 Python (Thanks again d.a.r.y.l.) in the linked thread below, and notice the sharp and crisp edges and corners throughout the gun. In my photo # 8, (eight from the top), take a look at the edges on the "scallop" where the frame meets the barrel and compare it with photo # 8 in the Gun Broker listing. Do you see how buffed and smooth the re-finished Python looks in comparison? Now compare other common edges, corners, and roll marks and this same difference should be clear to you. Another feature to compare are the edges of the barrel vents in both Pythons. In the earliest Pythons, you will find the sharpest edges and they are always removed when the gun is refinished. Let us know what you see.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/52646-1957-colt-python-357-thanks-forum-member-d-r-y-l.html
In addition to what Kanatak points out, take a look at the erosion of the forcing cone in #32, and what I'd call sort of a "softness" to the front of the chambers and the front of the cylinder in #40. It's just takes some time to learn to look at what's below the shinny new finish. And also to spot what should be there and isn't, and what is there and shouldn't.

Best regards,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great knowledge...that is precisely why I didn't put in a bid before coming here...THANK YOU for helping me in this and for not participating in purchasing a gun that is wrong. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't have any experience with anyone on GB, so I don't know what kind of reputation this seller has, but I will say that there is NO WAY an experienced dealer would not know that this Python is a re-blue. It's easy to see from the pictures, and would be even more so if you had the gun in your hands. So in my opinion this guy is deliberately misrepresenting the condition of this Python. What would that say about anything else he's selling?

Best regards,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree...I called him yesterday about it because hes only 2 hours from me. He said it was 100% original and he bought it off a smith and wesson forum moderator. I have half a mind to call him back and give him what fer, but I won't. I should have caught the reblue and buffed out colt, but I'm learning. Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts

Kanatak......I too have a 57 Python but no box or papers for me. Last night I took it out and compared it to the OP's photos and was able to see the difference. Being new I find it hard to immediately find the re-blues (pistols or revolvers) without being able to compare it to something else. I feel this is just a learning curve we all have to go through when starting out.

You have a VERY nice piece, its awesome that you have all the paperwork and box. You have had it a year already and I'm sure its worth more today that when you got it last year.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I do recall at one time there was a service offered to put the red inserts in the front sight by some company. Aftermarket of course. The sights didn't come on guns till late 80's. The gun has been reblued if not recently but at some point. It's a nice shooter if you want an older colt but that is about it.

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
At least the guy put some good pictures on his auction. He stayed away from the word "original"....I guess the folks who are bidding are bidding because of the age of it?

I circled in red some real easy give aways.....buffed out cylinder flute.....deep gouge covered in blue........pitiful buffed rampant colt.....

Click on image to enlarge.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts