Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Colt nickel plate pythons in 1958? This gun is alledged to be a 1958, 4", nickel, in the orgiinal box. Serial numbers are reported to run from 5550 through 7049. If 1500 were produced, how many were nickel? I have requested additional information, and I am patiently awating a response. Just not sure about the 58 being nickel. The only reference I have located is vague. It states the Python was originally offered in Royal Blue and Bright Nickel. Also, if it was nickel, should there be a sticker on the box indicating nickel? xb

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I sure want to see pictures of it if you get it!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm not an expert on this question but going on memory, I think I remember reading nickel Python's were catalogued in 1961 but were available in 1960. Here is a 4" nickel Python shipped in December of 1960.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
In 1958 Colt only made the Python in a 6" blue.

Are you sure there is not a "E" in front of the serial number? That would make it a 70's gun and it could then be original.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Is the box the correct 1950s style of wood-grain, telescoping-lid box with the dark green interior? Does the box state the barrel length is 4-inch? Does the serial number on the bottom of the box match the gun? As stated, no 4-inch Pythons were cataloged until 1960, and no nickel Pythons were cataloged until 1961.

While one can speculate that Colt could have nickel-plated a few Pythons before nickel became a cataloged finish, it seems impossible that a 4-inch barrel could have been installed two years before that barrel length was created. Colt was producing nickel guns on a regular basis for other models so to nickel-plate a Python would not have required anything that was not already available. However, to create a 4-inch Python would have required an engineering and tooling change, making it very unlikely that a 4-inch Python could have been made in 1958.

If you believe in miracles, a factory letter will be the only way to confirm your belief. If the gun is actually a 1958 production, then it most likely has been re-barreled and nickeled after it was built.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Judge, you may be on to something with the re-barrel. He did say the gun comes with two barrels. I just dismissed the remark, thinking I would find out later what that ment. This is a bit of an odd situation which I just have to let play out. But if you are right, that puts a whole other light on the possible sale -$$. That would sort of be a mixed bag if the gun is in fact a 1958 with the original box and docs, but has been re-barreled and nickeled. Best case senario would be the work was done by Colt. Hopefully I will receive additional information today.
Got a little better information this evening. No second barrel as previously reported. The gun is blue 6 inch, not nickel. Just going to slow walk this one and hope things work out. Also no third party involved anymore. Next move is to talk to the horses mouth!

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
A blue 6-inch or a nickel 4-inch. So very close to identical that anybody could make that mistake!

It seems to be fairly common that such misinformation is posted and responses based on such misinformation are posted, only to find out that the basic premise is wrong and all of the effort was wasted. This was another one.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Judge, if misinformation were cut from this board, there would be no need for this board. And as in a courtroom, not all information which is put fourth is varified, some is actually put fourth knowing it to be false. The information I had, was submitted in good faith, and was submitted as I had received it. If I had all the answers, I would have no need to even ask the question. So, just let me say this. If one finds it a waste of time to pose a question, or supply an answer to a question, then it is his or her right to refrain from doing so. I thought forums such as this were to be used to seek information to questions and educate oneself. Also, I feel your glib reply was unnecessary, and in turn caused me to take the time to compose this response which is also wasted effort.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I gladly absorb as much education as possible concerning my Colt "habit" and believe nothing is "a wasted effort". I have to respectfully disagree with Judge as something WAS learned. My .001 worth ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts