Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1959 Blue 6" Python at my LGS today. It has a little holster wear on the left side muzzle and the grips are not correct. Other than those two issues the gun is in immaculate shape with very little cylinder ring. It does not appear to have been fired much and whoever had it took very good care of it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they replaced the grips which are pretty nice and have the Colt Medallion. I have never seen this type of grips before and do not believe they came from Colt .It does not come with a box or PPW. After discussing the price and describing the issue about the grips, I can purchase the gun for $2100.00. Being I would have to find an original set of grips for it, my question is, is the price right or should I move on? I know being an early model make it's value go up when it is all correct.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
that’s sounds like a fantastic buy on a 59. I would just make sure it’s original finish (but probably worth that if not tbh in this market, not to me tho). Deal, python, pawn shop are words that usually don’t go together nowadays because of internet and the nature of the beast. When I find a deal like that, I start looking for why it’s priced low, I usually locate the major problem about 24/25 times. But that one time, you go home smiling. No one will be able to help without pictures. There are no mystery grips for pythons from factory. Only ever used a few, Medallions can be different but not on a 59, it would have traditional small horse gold medallions for sure from factory. What do they look like, full checkered? Smileys? 3rd gen? Service? Other than that, they would be aftermarket grips.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah pics please. A 1959 for $2100 retail sounds too good to be true and that means it probably is.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,657 Posts
If you look up at the top of the Python page you'll see a tutorial on Colt Target grips, showing pictures of all known types of genuine Colt grips.

In wood Colt Target grips there were very few variations, with only the late type Colt Python Elite laminated finger groove type being really different.
Colt did use Custom Shop grips and sold after-market grips made in India and Italy, and usually made of fancy woods like Rosewood, but these invariably followed the Colt standard Target grip design closely.
Some of these had Colt Custom Shop medallions, many had standard Colt medallions, especially the after-market sales grips.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
If it is in otherwise original shape, you better be there at zero dark-thirty tomorrow morning with a wad of cash. Run don't walk.
That is, unless somebody already poached it right from under you.
If you don't get that revolver........well......... He who hesitates is lost.
You snooze, you lose.
Grips are all over the place. Olle even makes perfect reproductions for 'em.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts