Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Need a little expertise. I have a 1960 4" Python in box that is in near new condition. Everything is correct down to the serialized box, label, paperwork, cleaning brush, target, etc. The grips are near perfect also, but they are 2nd generation. Someone said recently that if the grips were original, they would be 1st gen (full checkered). But it's my understanding that 1st gen grips were discontinued after the 1959 production. And it makes no sense to me why the grips would have been changed out. So what say ye?

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have been in the market for a 1960 for quite some time. I always get mixed messages about the Gen I vs. Gen II grips. It wouldn't supprise me if that year they did both. Used the Gen I till they ran out and then started using the Gen II. Similar to the 1971 Nickel; some have nickel sights and some have blued sights.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I doubt if Colt kept any records as to the exact date or serial number when a new design was used and one discontinued. Whatever set of stocks was on the shelf was picked and used regardless of its design. First in and first out rotation of inventory parts probably wasn't a priority....it's not like they were date coded or had a "Best if Used By" date.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hello All,

Need a little expertise. I have a 1960 4" Python in box that is in near new condition. Everything is correct down to the serialized box, label, paperwork, cleaning brush, target, etc. The grips are near perfect also, but they are 2nd generation. Someone said recently that if the grips were original, they would be 1st gen (full checkered). But it's my understanding that 1st gen grips were discontinued after the 1959 production. And it makes no sense to me why the grips would have been changed out. So what say ye?

Thanks
If were purchasing a 1960, would expect the stocks to be 2d type.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Pics please... I've had 2 NIB 1960 Pythons and both wore second generation type grips with a very light "tongue oil" type finish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight. Sounds like it could legitimately be either one. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure out how.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
This has been discussed several times and JudgeColt is an authority.

We believe that some early 1960 guns could have Type 1 stocks IIRC. Take a look in the archives here for past threads.

·
Registered
471 Posts
first off i would ask the serial # of the gun...x the last digit if it bothers you.........ALL 4" 1960 pythons came with the gen2 1960 specific grips....(skinny horse, strait skinny tail, oil finish wood) .......some of the earliest 6" 1960 guns (early 4 digit guns) came with gen 1 grips but that was before the 4"ers were produced as specials .....i am attaching a picture of a original 4" 1960 one of the first group produced....1960 original oil finish grips also have very sharp checkering since no varnish type finish was applied and due to the sharp points they were/are easy to damage and can hurt hand if shot a lot thus a lot were changed out

i have own several of this year and handled hundreds (looking for a nickle one)

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
would like to see pictures of your box .....very early 4" pythons came in a labeless box as labels were not produced yet and the guns were "specials" and letter as specials.....labels came on later units in prep for the 1961 cataloged run ....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
S/N is 1249X so it is a later 1960 production. Will add pics as soon as possible. Had recent surgery and everything is an effort to accomplish.

·
Registered
471 Posts
grips are absolutely correct and rare.......discussing the box now...(i am now giving information that is considered voodoo on this site)
attaching 3 pictures in all the box furthest to the left is a fake ...the others are originals....in this version of box i look at several things ....label color and aging...the stamping definition on the large gold horse rear hocks n tail area.....the smoothness of the underlayment under the green in the box.....overall grain in overlay pattern...general condition and color...paper work looks correct other than it looks "too GOOD" not sure that is a bad thing just saying, target sig is correct never seen one just folded once in middle (details)...........no hurry on anything these are birthyear guns for me so i understand surgery and senior moments :)

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
as for resizing pictures ...on my computer i right click the mouse on the picture and get a drop down menu ...one option is resize pictures....if putting multiple pictures in one post i go to small.....otherwize large or medium works.....the pictures i post i have in hi resolution in my file and can send via direct email if some special detail is warrented viewing.......i assume your new gun isnt for sale??? gotta ask :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, what great information. I really appreciate you going to all the trouble of emptying the boxes to show all aspects ttazzman. I do think the box & label are also original. As far as selling the gun goes, I've received numerous inquiries, so not sure what to do if I decide to sell. I think the fairest way would be to list on GB. So, if I decide to do that I will give you all a heads up. Fair enough?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts