Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, normally I don’t list a “what’s it worth thread”, but I have a 1960 Python with a serial number in the 9,XXX range and wanted to know if it’s worth more than a typical blue 6” Python in the same condition. I know that I could just list it on Gunbroker and see what it goes for ;) but, I value the opinions of the members here and it would give me a rough idea of what I’m going to get out of it. I was going to keep it, but I have more Pythons on their way to my collection and I need to make room. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't understand. You are buying Pythons but have limited knowledge of the Python market?
Of the earlier pythons yes, I have limited knowledge of the market. As I dont see many for sale. Out of the last 10 pythons I've bought, this is the earliest one. I'm in the process of converting most of my collection to BSS and SS. I'm not an expert, which is the reason I asked the question about the earlier Pythons. Hope you understand...

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'd guess it'll fetch close to 800 to a thousand per digit on GB. Nice looking 4 digit piece you've got there

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Unfortunately, many of the folks driving up Python prices have never held one as old as your 1960 and have no idea how well these older guns were polished and blued. The polishing and finishing of my 1960 Python compares very favorably to my 1957 and is significantly "finer" than any of my newer Pythons, but I am not certain the general market appreciates this fact. In terms of value, I would guess your Python would be valued similar to a like condition, similarly configured Python from the 70s and 80s, for which you have a large number of Gun Broker Completed Auctions to draw from. Without going through the comparables, I will guess between $1500 and $1750. If you find a buyer that appreciates, and is looking for the craftsmanship of an early Python, the number might be in the $2000 range. Cabelas seems to be pricing its 6" blue Pythons in this general range, but I do not know what it is actually getting.

I hope you receive some additional estimates from members. Best of luck with your portfolio balancing.

Here is my 1960, SN 112XX, which I acquired about 3 years ago:

·
Registered
30 Posts
python

Of the earlier pythons yes, I have limited knowledge of the market. As I dont see many for sale. Out of the last 10 pythons I've bought, this is the earliest one. I'm in the process of converting most of my collection to BSS and SS. I'm not an expert, which is the
reason I asked the question about the earlier Pythons. Hope you understand...
Do you happen to have a 4" nickel python to lose?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
My $00.02: I would have great difficulty selling that thing.
I'm partial to the blue ones, and that thing is just way too nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts