Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOT a 1964----1976 sorry.

This is from a reputable gun shop in Montana. I looks almost perfect without turn lines, bluing missing, etc. $2995 seems high but that's the asking price. I haven't called the gun shop yet to ask the following question without asking it here.

My question of knowledgeable Clot members is: Does this look like a refinish or could it actually be as good as it looks?
COLT PYTHON .357 MAG. 2 1/2" BLUE FINISH. LIKE NEW CONDITION 00269

Thanks so very much in advance for guidance and direction.

Regards.......John

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Unfortunately the picture(s) contrast, lighting and staging render them useless for an honest evaluation. I did magnify every one and had to tip my laptop screen "just right" to see the Rampant Colt. Barrel markings are there but to what degree, is uncertain. To advertise a $3K Colt with 7 pictures showing a lot of shine but little detail doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Jack The Dog (a seller's seller) would have 40 pictures and over 1/2 of them would be macro settings of every aspect of the firearm to leave no doubt about condition.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'd call those those "Playboy" pictures; they look sexy, but any flaws are hidden. No way to determine a refinish or not from those pictures. I'd question the finish, just because of the type of images that were posted.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
There are a lot of questions that need to be answered not the least of which is the serial number.00269 would be a 55 Python and I don't think Colt used 5 digit numbers that early in production.Stay away from it.JMO D*

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
The serial number is not right because Colt did not use leading zeros in those days. The serial number of a 1964 Python should be in the 30,000 range. The stated serial number may be a typographical error. The stocks are not correct. The finish looks too dark, but the white background may be the cause of that. Much investigation would be needed before purchase.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have a nickle one like it made in 1971. Just looking fast at those pictures I thought it straight but yes it does look black but that could be lighting or whatever. Even though I own one I bought new I thought this one straight but defer to the "experts". Lets say it DOES prove out legit, is the price right? Too high? Low?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I just went to the gun store site. They have many other guns I looked at plus they have more pythons in new shape. All their pythons and other guns too have the very dark black. I say the finish is orginal or all the other pythons are refinished too and I highly doubt they are. I am no expert on grips even though I own several pythons but all the same I belive the gun honest and original. If I am wrong the entire gun world would be talking about that gun shop and putting them out of business for trying to sell many fakes. I call BS! It`s honest.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Take a look at this 3" python for sale with the same shop. They have other pythons all with the same black finish. Click around their site. Its their photography. They probley wax the guns with rem wax etc. I dont own the shop and never been to it. I just notice people on this site are highly suspicious of everything and everybody. Lighten up. You arent always right.
COLT PYTHON .357 MAG 3" COLT BLUE FINISH VERY RARE 00210

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.