Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt Fam,

There’s always a buzz whenever a “3 digit” serial number Python goes up for sale, which got me wondering - why don’t we ever hear much about the first run of Diamondbacks in 1966? (I know Diamondbacks are newer, more plentiful and not hand-fitted like Pythons but they are still great iconic snake guns that deserve some love too!)

Here are some pics of my 1966 Diamondback 2.5” Blued, serial number D114X. It’s definitely no safe queen and bears many marks from honest past use. No box or papers came with it.

More info from Colt Archives letter: Colt Diamondback, serial # D1146, was originally a 2.5” barrel length, 38 special, blue finish, with wood stocks. It was shipped on October 11, 1966, part of a shipment of 3 guns of the same type to Bullseye Inc. located at 3420 NW 27th Ave in Miami, Florida.

Since the Diamondback serial numbers began at D1001, that means I have one of the first 150 (145 actually) Diamondbacks ever produced! Yippee!

But not so fast my friend…Paul at Colt Archives warns me that serial number does not equal production order. His email says, “regarding your question on being one of the first 150 produced, there is unfortunately no way to know this due to Colt’s production methods – they never assembled guns in consecutive serial numbered order. For instance, there are guns with lower numbers that were assembled after, and guns with higher numbers that were assembled earlier than your gun.”

Okay...

So I’ve got an early Diamondback for sure but hard to tell exactly HOW early. I'm posting here in the hopes our resident wheelgun and Diamondback gurus might weigh in:
  1. Who has Diamondback D1001? Anyone have an example from the first 10 serial numbers? How about the first 100?
  2. What do y’all think of the grips on this one? I believe they are correct service style square butt, however the silver medallions look a little too good to be true (to me).
  3. Every one of the earliest few hundred serial numbers of Diamondbacks that I can find are all snubbies. Anyone know if the first batch was all 2.5” barrels?
  4. What, if anything, would you do to try to preserve this early example? Just keep it oiled? Anything special to halt/ treat the few rust spots?
  5. Given the condition and high serial number what is thing worth? Should I shoot it? Hard chrome it? (Just kidding but I’m curious what y’all would do.)
  6. What's the "Y" that is seen behind the trigger guard? Is that related to Colt factory inspection or did someone carve their initial to mark it?
Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom!

Chuck
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Revolver Automotive design Trigger Material property Gun barrel
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Camera lens Grey Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire White
Air gun Trigger Grey Shotgun Eye glass accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas
Air gun Trigger Cowboy action shooting Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumping this thread to see if any forum members have a 1966 Diamondback from the first 100 or so serial numbers. If so, I’m curious as to barrel length and correct grips.

Thanks In advance!

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts