Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently decided to sell my now deceased dad's Python. It's 4" blue, with walnut grips. I had a guy locally that came to see it and offered me initially, $800.....then went to $1000.....then to $1100. I told him that I maybe was having second thoughts, since I was second gen cop, and my son is now 3rd gen, and maybe it should stay in the family. Three weeks later he called and offered me $1500. It's obvious that he was initially trying to do me with a big dry one. So can anyone nail down what the value of this peice is.....I'd appreciate it. I have seen reserves on some on auction at $2500. Btw it is for sale
Beast

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Sorry about your dad's passing. Welcome to the Colt Forum.

Condition, original papers and box are everything! If you can post photos we can give you a very decent estimate value. Let us know if we can help; but don't let it go for less than what it is worth.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Condition is everything. Does it have minor muzzle wear? Cylinder ring? High Edge wear on frame and cylinder from holstering? Are the stocks in excellent condition, very good condtion, good condition and are they original to the Python. Does the timing appear correct or is there looseness, movement or end shake of any kind? It's hard to put a value on something without clear close up pictures and accurate details. As a point of reference a '66 Python, revolver only, that is in the high 90% range can fetch anywhere from $1800-2300 dependent on the right buyer and the condition of the firearm. We've seen them go even higher on GunBroker if 2 bidders decide they want it more than the fella they are bidding against. If heirlooms mean nothing to you then once you decide on a price, offer it here on the forum (you must have over 15 posts to do so however) and you'll get honest offers. If you haven't decided on selling, because it was your dad's and you want your heirs to have it someday, then hang on to it. It will only appreciate in value if properly taken care of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pay attention to the previous two responses. Saved me a lot of words and they both said it well.
My only observation at this point is that the guy who offered you $1,500 and he has seen the condition -- while we would be purely guessing.
Now for my abstract logic guess -- assuming the prior offer was still low-ball -- if the pistol is 98% or 99% condition with pristine original stocks, my number is $1,800 to $2,000. It would be a stretch to get the $2,500 you mentioned.
Again, get your posts up, list it here with good pictures and you will find out pretty fast what it's worth -- or not.

I thank you and your family for the police service. I'm sure you have your reasons for selling it. Imagine a great-grandson having that one day?

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Beast concur with comments above- might even be the python I have for sale on GB with a buy it now at 2500 with a reserve at $2199, right in the range mentioned by Mtn Spur above. If you have clean, un chipped stocks, low to no wear and mechanically tight then you would likely command the upper end of that range like the one I have noted on GB. But i also agree that if it has heirloom properites, you should seriously consider keeping it as it's one of the best revolvers potentially ever made. Mine does not and i'm just looking to trade it for a 6" stainless or nickel in similar great shooter condition. do what you must, but your buddy who tried to buy for 800 may not be as close as a friend as you think....in this case, "buddy" might be half a word if you get my drift....good luck sir and congrats on owning such a great revolver.Kraaaken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You

Thank you all for the replies. No that guys was nota buddy, and I think he thought that by his increases I wouldn't figure it all out.yes three gen of. Cops is pretty cool....thank you. As for value I assumed it would keep climbing. Well anyway here is a pic so you guys can tell me what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
You indicate the gun was manufactured in 1966. If that is the correct date of mfg then the grips are not correct for that time period and will affect the value. Fortunately they do appear to be original 3rd generation Colt Python grips so if you wanted to swap them out you should be about even if you sold yours and purchased the 2nd generation variety. The pictures you have provided are not detailed enough positively determine condition, however, I would generally be in agreement with Parrisjr on value. Maybe as much as $2500 depending on location. If you had the original box and papers that would make a big difference to collectors. Other than that it is probably going to be a nice shooter for someone.

On a more personal note I would recommend holding on to it if you can. I sold my fathers 1964 4" Python. 3 Generations of police officers also (I was the 3rd but changed careers) I shot the S#!t out of that gun, even had it refinished (big mistake) it never shot the same. I returned the gun to him but he didn't want it either. Even though it was a POS at that point I do regret selling it. He is still alive and occasionally reminisces about it. I plan on presenting him an engraved Python for his retirement in March of 2014 to commemorate his 58 Years of military and law enforcement service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Mike....thank you for the reply. I mentioned to my son that I thought he should have it and he really seemed unphased! Kids these days are strange. My guys have two muscle cars that they don't drive!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey Mike....thank you for the reply. I mentioned to my son that I thought he should have it and he really seemed unphased! Kids these days are strange. My guys have two muscle cars that they don't drive!
Yes it's hard to compete with the sex appeal and price of the spray and pray Glocks. Don't get me wrong I love my Glocks and shoot them all the time. But the Python has history and sentimental value to me. It's hard for the younger generation to share in that if they haven't had the personal experiences. I guess thats another reason we need to take our safe queen Pythons out to the range and get another generation hooked on them before it's too late

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.