Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m new to the group and just bought my first Colt revolver. It’s a Colt Agent, and the serial number brings up Cobra Agent 1967. However, the finish is not blue or nickel. It has an “LW” at the end of the serial number which I believe indicates lightweight. Any assistance in identifying it as well as any insight into its value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
359 Posts
Colonel

The shrouded ejector rod didn't show up on the Agent until 1973, so unlikely yours dates to 1967. There was a matte black finish on the Agent circa 1982.

Nice aftermarket grips. Possible that your Agent was (nicely) refinished at some point.

Here are an Agent LW from 1977 and an Agent from 1983. (Note the difference in the grip lengths and no rampant pony on the side plate on the later gun.)

Suggests yours dates between 1973 and 1981.

A nice refinished Agent with aftermarket grips would be $400 - $500 around here. Your mileage may vary...

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. Refinishing makes sense because the box says that it’s blued, but clearly not. Rebarreling with the shroud also makes sense. What type of finish is it? It’s in great condition and shoots well. The trigger is also very nice. Any recommendations for a grip that controls recoil better? It’s quite snappy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice revolver. I'm new to Colts as well, there's a lot to learn about them. As to the finish, looks like it could be a matte hard chrome. Appears to be just a little bit of wear at the front of the cylinder. More a polishing than wear. And the cylinder release appears to be more of a satin finish than the rest of the gun. I'd think if it were one of the newer bake on finishes it would be a more uniform matte. Either way it looks like it was well done.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
A Colt Archives letter will only show how it left the factory when new. Post-original shipping work will not show in production records. About the only way to determine when the work was done...and if done by Colt or an authorized Colt repair station (there used to be such things)...or someone else...is for the work invoice to be present.

As far as being a "rare piece" is Bravo Sierra without solid provenance. That Colt is a hybrid...later barrel on a mid-60s frame with a refinish. It might be a nice gun and a great shooter but collector value is negligible.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
If the factory reworked it, would a Colt archive letter show that? Would it be worth investigating? Whoever sold it to the previous owner said it was a “rare piece.”
There are at least 5,000+ ‘rare’ Colts for sale on Gunbroker at any given moment.

If the gun shoots fine I wouldn’t bother with the investigation. I doubt the letter would show anything at any rate. The stocks being aftermarket, non-Colt examples are a clue to the history of the gun IMO.

Attractive shooter.

Also: Colt’s website S/N lookup is mediocre at best and causes confusion daily

1 - 15 of 15 Posts