Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on how to get a Colt Agent in pristine condition with an overly rotated barrel (cocked front sight) repaired. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Don

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I am looking for information on how to get a Colt Agent in pristine condition with an overly rotated barrel (cocked front sight) repaired. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Don
Can you provide a photo so we can assess the damage?

If the barrel needs to be rotated or front sight tapped, you would want a qualified gunsmith to do the work, in which case the forum recommends Frank Glenn of Glenn Custom based in Phoenix, AZ, and Spartan Firearms in Okemos, MI. Both are well trained and qualified to work on these old Colts to a high degree of excellence, for reasonable fees and turnaround time.

Glenn Custom
Spartan Firearms

·
Registered
7,288 Posts

If the barrel needs to be rotated or front sight tapped, you would want a qualified gunsmith to do the work, in which case the forum recommends Frank Glenn of Glenn Custom based in Phoenix, AZ, and Spartan Firearms in Okemos, MI. Both are well trained and qualified to work on these old Colts to a high degree of excellence, for reasonable fees and turnaround time.

Glenn Custom
Spartan Firearms
My understanding is that Colt did not recommend that anyone outside of the factory perform barrel work on an Agent due to the special tooling needed to work with the aluminum frame. Now Colt doesn’t work on them at all.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
My understanding is that Colt did not recommend that anyone outside of the factory perform barrel work on an Agent due to the special tooling needed to work with the aluminum frame. Now Colt doesn’t work on them at all.
I've never read any direct quotes from Colt, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were so. With the barrel being an aluminum alloy, it certainly would require special knowledge and equipment outside of the regular.

Colt themselves would be the best to do the work, but as you said, Colt doesn't work on them at all now, so it puts us in this weird position. In which case, that's why the above two gunsmiths are the safest route. I don't know their individual experience with Cobras or Agents, but they're significantly more likely to know how to properly handle them and have the equipment to do so than a local, modern gunsmith.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Glenn Custom
Spartan Firearms
Thanks Kieth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.