Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up Saturday from a guy in Belton, Texas. He brought it from the original owner.

Came with original box and Colt holster and ammo belt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Nice Scout with box and belt/holster! If you care, yours is one of the later models that sometimes came with a .22 Magnum cylinder. You can tell by the ".22 CAL" caliber marking on the barrel. They did not all come with the extra cylinder, but all marked .22 CAL were designed to shoot the magnum rounds as well as the .22 LR.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the marking. Serial number is 34980K made in 1967.

Excited I can shoot magnum ammo also.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Thanks Buckspen, I recently acquired a cut down Buntline Peacemaker that has two cylinders with it, a .22 LR and a .22 Magnum. I was wondering how to tell if it was good for both. They both just fall into place without any issue. It is like you stated marked .22 CAL.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Isn't another method of checking whether it's a .22LR only or convertible if the barrel muzzle is machined flat for .22LR only or a rounded crown if convertible?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I bought a used as new one in the case like that way back. (No holster nor belt) Sold or traded it off long ago but since I bought a nickle scout from the late 50`s or so and I am pretty sure I recall the scout like yours was heavier??

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Don't worry about muzzles; that is not a conclusive way to identify whether a Frontier Scout or Buntline Scout is "Magnum capable" or not. If the barrel is marked ".22 CAL" or ".22 Mag." or "22 Magnum", it is okay for the .22 Magnum cartridge. If it is marked .22 LR it is NOT.

- - Buckspen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts