Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a couple of questions about this Frontier Scout I picked up I am hoping someone can help me with. Did this originally come with both .22 lr and .22 mag cylinders? If I wanted to get a .22 lr cylinder is there anything to look out for or will any .22 lr cylinder from this time period fit?

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
I have a .22 Mag only model, the barrel being so marked. Since your barrel is marked only ".22 CAL", I would have to guess that it originally came with the LR cylinder as well. In that time frame, the Mag was the hot new item and some LR cylinders were likely put away or set aside, eventually becoming lost, sold or traded. From others here, it seems that genuine Colt's cylinders have a reputation for fitting, occasionally with minor re-work.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I agree with po!8guy. I think your Scout came with two cylinders. If you find another .22 LR cylinder it should drop right in. Might require minor fitting but I bet it drops right in and works without a hitch.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Also, it appears that yours may be a "flat muzzle" example. IIRC, the LR and combo versions had more of those barrels than magnum only guns. I ended up with a .22 Mag only that has the flat muzzle (no crown).

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 1960 colt frontier scout and mine says .22 LR, does that mean it can't be fitted with a .22 mag cylinder? I always wondered if I could put a .22 mag cylinder in it or if I'm stuck with the .22 LR.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have a 1960 colt frontier scout and mine says .22 LR, does that mean it can't be fitted with a .22 mag cylinder? I always wondered if I could put a .22 mag cylinder in it or if I'm stuck with the .22 LR.
You can't fit a .22 Magnum cylinder to your gun. Your Scout is for .22 LR only. I wouldn't use the word stuck. The lowly .22 LR is one of the most useful and fun cartridges ever invented.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There is a lot of after market 22lr cylinders out there, they will require fitting. Make sure you buy a genuine original 22lr cylinder and you will not have any problems. Do some research on them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your Scout most likely came with both cylinders. With the serial # I could most likely look it up in Wilkerson's book on .22s
The box they came in look like this:

Your stocks are most likely from Jay Scott, a popular aftermarket option at the time. Original stocks are like these:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
You can't fit a .22 Magnum cylinder to your gun. Your Scout is for .22 LR only. I wouldn't use the word stuck. The lowly .22 LR is one of the most useful and fun cartridges ever invented.
With all of the standard, target, hyper-velocity, shot and other cartridges, I do not feel stuck with any of my 22s! One may argue that .001" is not much difference, but IIRC, Colt's used a compromise bore diameter (.22 LR is .223" and .22 Magnum is .224") so as to provide decent accuracy with LR and decent pressures with Magnum. IIRC. I was surprised to learn that .22 LR runs at 24,000 PSI, same as the Magnum.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
If the barrel is marked .22 LR, do not fit a Magnum cylinder to the gun and do not use Magnum cartridges in it. If it is marked .22 Mag or .22 Magnum, it only came with the .22 Magnum cylinder, but it would be safe to fit a .22 LR cylinder to it. If the barrel is marked .22 CAL, it probably came from the factory with both cylinders and it is safe for use with both. A small number of .22 CAL guns were only shipped with the .22 LR cylinder. The only way to know if this is true, is to get an Archive letter on the gun. I have several such guns. However, I have never seen a .22 CAL gun that could be verified as having been shipped with only the Magnum cylinder.
(Be guided by the barrel marking, not the barrel crown.)

- - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Anyone ever slug the barrels to determine the bore diameter difference?

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
I've pushed a few lead slugs through .22 bores and never got good, reliable results. The lead is soft and the bullets are small and it's hard to get good measurements. It is too easy to deform the bullet with the measuring instrument. And the difference between .22 LR bores and .22 Magnum bores is small.
Not saying it can't be done, but I never was any good at it.
- - -Buckspen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts