Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great piece of military history with a 34 year paper trail
I will only show the BG's name one time on the certificate of ownership
General Officer Issue Shipped 8 Aug. 1967 from Rock Island Arsenal to Arlington, VA. where the Brigadier General was assigned
This Colt M-1903 was a WW2 issue pistol, blue finish shipped to springfield armory in Dec. 1944. The pistol rearsenaled with a parkerized finish has its matching numbered slide is NIB with all accessories, original military white storage bag is dated "Nov. 1965", redated "4-1966" with inventory number most likely when it was put on the shelf at Rock Island Arsenal

I have his 2 page 4 year certificate of academic work at the USMA @ West Point from 1 July 1938 to 29 May 1942
In his 3rd year No. 1 in a class of 379 cadets, graduated No. 14 out of 374 cadets Commissioned 2nd LT US Army Signal Corps

He assumed command as a 1st Lt. of the 295th Joint Assault Signal Co. 15 June 1943. Retired April 1972

The bronze plaque of the screaming eagle holding a bomb dated 1942 was given by the USMA at graduation for best of class award

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
It is really cool what the Army used to do when a guy made his first star. I am always surprised when I see a family let these get away. The Rock Island Arsenal G.O. M15 is the ultimate custom 1911, I went up to 5K in the last RIA auction for one and backed off. All they get now is a regular M9 with a serial number that starts with "GO..."

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
While the pistols were issued to the GO on his attaining the rank of Brigadier General, the General had the option of either purchasing the pistol or turning it back in upon retirement from the military. It is amazing to see the pistols that were turned back in.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top page bill of sale was also included with the certificate of ownership when mailed to the General

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
This is an outstanding collection of militaria. Tell us, RPD57: how is BG Obenchain related to you? By a very, very long stretch I may imagine you obtained the weapon itself from a gun show or thru an auction of sorts. But...... you have too many personal items, such as his decorations, orders, West Point academic documents, etc., for this to be just some casual acquisition or forgotten family heirloom. Please, do tell?

Reactions: mg357

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
majdad93, I have no connection what so ever with the general. The only thing I will say about the pistol it was a shot in the dark that started with an email.

Rich

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Johnny, nice to see you have an M-15 pistol with its paper work, they are very well built pistols. Never was into the GO pistols, a little thing turned into owning the pistol. I got way more items than I was expecting in the deal

Here is a copy of the original issue index cards from Rock Island Arsenal they found in the museum that I requested

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Your pistol is listed in Brunner's book. He may have had access to Rock Island's records, but did a great job of recording pistols and recipients.

My M15 GO pistol was shipped to BG Cousland in care of the Schoefield Barracks, Hawaii, which I thought was pretty neat. There is also a document where he had to register his pistol when he was transferred to Fort Monroe, Virginia.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
I guess with the changing to the M9 as the GO pistol some of these found their way out of Rock Island, so finding one with documentation is always a plus.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks Alot Guys, Johnny Very Nice GO pistol & rig

Here is another certificate the General received the day before retiring.
The first one I have seen signed by William C Westmoreland,
Commanding General of US Forces in Vietnam 1964 to 1968

Congratulation Letter from Harold K Johnson, General Army Chief of Staff 1964 to 1968 for promotion to BG

2 more congratulation letters,
T.J. Conway Commanding General Chief US Strike Command
John R Deane Jr. Commanding BG 173d Airborne Brigade

The best of class award plaque from USMA presented to the officer at graduation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.