Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Since I've joined I have learned allot about firearms and have had allot of help at the heat of the moment so I wanted to "Give back" some and post some pictures of a recent acquisition. The gun in question was given to me by my uncle on my 21 birthday (march 28, 2015). Last vacations (is it called spring break?) I got a chance to clean some of my uncles guns who back in the day was an avid gun guy. I kinda fell in love with his Para Ordnance P16 Limited but I dont like .40s and it was around a $1K when he bought it (Back when they were made in Canada) so I was not gana ask if he would give it to me so I set my eyes on his Colt Commander that he bought in the 70s for $100 from a friend. The gun was in horrible shape and smelled like rust but it was charming and if its a gift I would not mind. The problem is its a .38 Super so I wont be getting ammo any time soon, although he did give me some boxes he had laying around. Even the ammo was ancient! Remington "Kleenbore" Super 38 ammo.

I know I'm gana get some grief over my ghetto refinish but just know that it was only done so the gun would not rust and the is also reversable, this was done only as a temporary fix untill I can get it cerakoted. Also I dont know how the pictures will come out so please excuse the size and such.

Before:

WP_20150329_001.jpg

WP_20150329_002.jpg

After (Get the puke bag)

WP_20150405_002.jpg WP_20150405_003.jpg

Would like to see if any of you guys have these old guns. This one is a 1968 Colt Commander so its a pre - series and also pre - "Lightweight Commander" Since these came before the Combat Commander. I am keeping this gun as a project gun to build as the time goes by. I want to have the slide milled for a Bomar cut sight, change the barrel to a 9mm, maybe have it tightened (you could use it as a maraca!) but I don't know if it can be done since this is an aluminum frame. All in all I want to make this an old-school carry piece by the time I get to the USA.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I like it and I also favor 38 super over 9mm. It helps of course that I several boxes of Winchester Silver Tip 38 super put back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it and I also favor 38 super over 9mm. It helps of course that I several boxes of Winchester Silver Tip 38 super put back.
If .38 Super was available here I would still change the barrel. This thing I a Crap-O-Matic in the accuracy department and I think its because the round head spaces off the semi-rim.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Nice gun. You will most likely find new barrels will get the pistol to shooting in both calibers better than most humans can duplicate. Do not be fooled into believing the musical instrument sound makes the gun unacceptable in the accuracy department.

While some did use Bomars on Commanders and Combat Commanders, the Bomar was more and remains more of a Government Model thing. The adjustable sight popular for an old school Commander back in the day was the Smith and Wesson K frame adjustable rear.

Keep us posted on this work in progress. By the way, what is a ghetto re-finish?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice gun. You will most likely find new barrels will get the pistol to shooting in both calibers better than most humans can duplicate. Do not be fooled into believing the musical instrument sound makes the gun unacceptable in the accuracy department.

While some did use Bomars on Commanders and Combat Commanders, the Bomar was more and remains more of a Government Model thing. The adjustable sight popular for an old school Commander back in the day was the Smith and Wesson K frame adjustable rear.

Keep us posted on this work in progress. By the way, what is a ghetto re-finish?
This thing is beyond musical but that said it actually works. I never liked the revolver sights on 1911s they don't look right to me. The ghettokote is some automotive ceramic paint. It works fine if its a temporary finish but it can be a good strong finish if the material is media blasted.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Nice to have a family piece! Considering the condition it was in when you got it, I don't think anyone will fault you for doing a refinish job. I have a Commander also in .38 Super, dated to 1951! Not long after I bought it, I bought a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags to use as a conversion kit. I know that the .38 Super round has a bad reputation for being inaccurate, but my gun shoots quite well in both .38 Super and 9mm. I like the size and weight of the Commanders and have a nice lined holster to carry it in.

007.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I have one also, a mid 1970's. But I'm lucky as mine has a Bar-Sto barrel in it.
Bingo! .38 Super is a great cartridge that needs only to headspace on the case mouth. Bar-Sto solves that. Since it is a project gun anyway, I wouldn't neuter it. In any case, one would also need barrel, slide and appropriate recoil spring to make the conversion. Here in the states, Super ammo is much easier to find, and some of the hotter loads are truly impressive. One other thing, the Bar-Sto barrel comes with a slightly "long" link, which tightens the lockup. It will not rattle after that. Combine that with a tight bushing, and you've got both power and accuracy-plus.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Bingo! .38 Super is a great cartridge that needs only to headspace on the case mouth. Bar-Sto solves that. Since it is a project gun anyway, I wouldn't neuter it. In any case, one would also need barrel, slide and appropriate recoil spring to make the conversion. Here in the states, Super ammo is much easier to find, and some of the hotter loads are truly impressive. One other thing, the Bar-Sto barrel comes with a slightly "long" link, which tightens the lockup. It will not rattle after that. Combine that with a tight bushing, and you've got both power and accuracy-plus.
Actually, the Super slide will work quite well with 9mm. I change the barrel, recoil spring and magazine to convert my Super to 9mm. Works great!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.38 super - 9mm 1911 exchange just fine and if its one of the old guns you could actually fire 9mm in a 38 super! It wont hit anything but you could do it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Nice to have a family piece! Considering the condition it was in when you got it, I don't think anyone will fault you for doing a refinish job. I have a Commander also in .38 Super, dated to 1951! Not long after I bought it, I bought a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags to use as a conversion kit. I know that the .38 Super round has a bad reputation for being inaccurate, but my gun shoots quite well in both .38 Super and 9mm. I like the size and weight of the Commanders and have a nice lined holster to carry it in.

This...wisdom.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Actually, the Super slide will work quite well with 9mm. I change the barrel, recoil spring and magazine to convert my Super to 9mm. Works great!
Must be like the ugly Astra that will digest about any and all 9mm rounds ever made! 1911 bolt face is a little large at .412-.415 or so, I would imagine, but a tight extractor would do the job.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Glad this came up as it made me somewhat curious. So, I measured. I come up with .340 for both extractor groves: the super and the 9mm P. My factory ammo may be bad though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts