Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wants to sell me his and wants me to make him an offer. The gun looks great and is in great condition. However, it does have the dummy scratch.

It’s only the gun and nothing else. It dates to 1968 and has a 5 digit serial number in the 31,000 range and ends with -NM.
I’ve never had one and I don’t know much about them. I looked on the known gun sites and the asking prices vary from about $1400-$2000 but I don’t know what the hammer prices are.

These are the only photos I have.

What is a fair offer?

Thank You

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
In the Dallas market I’m tossing out $850 a steal and $1000/$1200 retail. The 1400/2000 numbers are too high to expect it to sell around here. IF...IF it were not fired or scratched and had box, hang tag and all that safe queen stuff it would be different. If you are gonna shoot it the scratch isn’t important, use the flaw to negotiate. The a Covid gun crazy stuff doesn’t seem to be infecting (yes I spelled infecting) 1911 prices and sales, only cheap and/or plastic guns as seen on TV. Ammo has the germ for sure. I think it spread and cross contaminated somewhere in the toilet paper isle. This is has been known to happen during hurricanes when panic spreads to water, batteries and other non living stuff. I’m sure this thing is further spread by panic buying. It seems to do the most harm to the unprepared. How in the heck did I get here? Give your friend $900 for the Gold Cup, let him buy lunch, call it scratch with the scratch and take him shooting!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
$1400-up is absolutely top of the market for a perfect, NIB example. Anything less than $1200 is a reasonable market value...less than $1k is a definite buy and good price.

·
Registered
589 Posts
One “easy” source of info is completed sales on Gunbroker. I did a quick check and it appears NIB ‘68 GCNMs sold between $2500 - $3000. Guns similar to yours probably are closer to $1200 or thereabouts. As Storm2 noted, prices for local buys are driven by your area. Here where I live in MI (not a metro area), I would be thrilled to find one near $1,200.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Looks nice except for the scratch. I have seen nice ones in that time period in the a little over $1K down here in the SW if one wants to look long enough. I have a 66 I bought from a friend with box etc. It is on top with a 79 MkIV Series 70 I bought new in 79 in the middle and an 88 MkIV Series 80 on the bottom.

It looks like it has the the correct angled recoil spring plug in it which I would think means it has the correct barre bushing. These are very hard to find on the used market. Below the barrel bushing and recoil plug from my 66 on the left with the barrel and bushing from the 79 in the middle and the barrel and bushing from a 2012 GCNM on the right.

And while you have field stripped it to look at the barrel and bushing check around the rear of the slide. Gold Cups of this vintage had the slide lightened with cutouts around the rear. of the slide where you can see the extractor. These were known to crack although not often and limit one to not shooting hot ammo through one.

It looks like it still has a roll pin in the rear Ellison sight. The previous owner of my 66 put a solid steel pin in which was often done. The roll pin on my 79 broke after a little over 2K rounds. I called Colt and they sent me a couple new ones free of charge which did seem a little heavier than the original.

Lastly with the nice looking wide steel trigger it should have a special sear with a tiny sear depressor and more tiny sear depressor spring. The special sear is almost impossible to find and the sear depressor and spring are getting harder and harder.

But the above assumes you want to shoot it. I have a shooty collection and shoot all of mine but some get shot more than others. If you want to get one to shoot a lot you might consider a new GCNM MkIV Series 70. Below my 2015 under my 1979. It has the Bomar like rear sights, a wide Aluminum trigger, thus no special sear, etc. and no lightened slide.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddy wants $1800 for it. I am not going to buy it but he is confident it will sell at his price.

I checked out recent sales on gunbroker for this year model and there were no examples sold that offered only the gun. The guns that did sell came with boxes and paperwork and in similar condition to this one and better. The sold prices were $2625, $2825, $2676, $2950. The sold prices are higher than I wouldve thought.

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
"And while you have field stripped it to look at the barrel and bushing check around the rear of the slide. Gold Cups of this vintage had the slide lightened with cutouts around the rear. of the slide where you can see the extractor. These were known to crack although not often and limit one to not shooting hot ammo through one."

If you look the front part of the slide, just ahead of the locking lugs, is also lightened. Approximately 3 ounces were removed from the slide.

·
Premium Member
9,439 Posts
Like Biffjohanson, I have never seen a Pre-Series '70 Gold Cup sell online so cheaply as many say. That said, such a late one as the subject gun without a box would be at the low end of the price range.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
These prices look more like series 70s to me. This is my take on it. It’s a 1400-1500 gun as is with scratch. nib 2500-3000. Nib with all AND outer numbered sleeve 3500-4000. Nib prices are no scratch, of course.

I would not pay 1800, I’d want to get into it around 1200-1400 myself. Actually I’d buy it for 1200, 1400 I’d pass unless I wanted or needed it. Worth that, just not to me at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts