Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1968 Gov\'t Model Dilemma

I just ran across a 1911 Gov't model with the brown plastic grips with the molded logo. It was made in 1968 based on the S/N. It is immaculate!

It was recently taken in and not put on display. It will likely never go on display but will be sold to one of the “regulars.” The owner of the shop was not in and the counter help could only say come back when he is.

They said they were not sure what he was going to do with it, but they did say that my name was mentioned as a potential. Sometimes the owner is unsure if he wants to sell certain guns he takes in, rather keep them for himself.

So what is the big deal here? Well, I will likely get 1 shot at this gun, as I’m not their only good customer. Although they clearly associate me with any Colt they take in, there are others waiting in the wings if I pass. Sometimes it has taken me literally months to pry some guns away from them. Such guns are always “kept in the back” and not displayed as for sale.

Problem here is I don’t think he will let this one go at a bargain price. I suspect he is going to want more than $1000 for it. So I need to be prepared to either $hit or get off the pot. What to do, what to do?

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 09-17-2004).]

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Re: 1968 Gov\'t Model Dilemma

$1,000 for an ordinary Government Model (it is NOT an M1911, which is a WWI-era military designation)? Seems high to me, but, maybe only by a few hunderd.

If you want it, what is a few hundred over a lifetime of pleasure of ownership? I have paid too much many times because I wanted a particular item, and the seller knew it. Is it more important to have the item, or to save your ego by not being "taken" for a few hundred dollars?

·
Registered
666 Posts

This is one time I must disagree with Judge Colt.
Pre series 70 guns in mint shape are going for over $1200, at least here on the East Coast.

[This message has been edited by Flusher (edited 05-06-2005).]

·
Registered
36 Posts

yeah here in Georgia...pre 70 series are a high dollar addition to a collection...never seen one for under a grand at a show.(that's in good shape)If anything else I would pick it up and hang on to it...it's not like it will go down in value

·
Registered
7 Posts

Two years ago, I bought a 1968 commercial (-c) who's worst wear is from rubbing in the original box. $500 Decent buy, I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts