Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Python Snubbie on GB "original box and paperwork" Question, fake stuff?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289172019

seller touting "original box and paperwork"

maybe someone with more experience than i could point out more. my observations: gun looks decent to me, side screw turned.

i make the box as fake due to colt being too bold type, grain runs wrong direction in red, and serial number looks not correct, actually pretty bad attempt.

would this gun come with this yellow tag and this owner booklet?

side note: this seller had an older 4" nickel couple of weeks ago and i tried to make appointment several days in advance "to take a quick look" and was informed he was too busy just email questions.

Looking for short barrel, but, i am off this gun, purpose of post to gain knowledge for myself and other members.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Highly doubtful that the manual could be correct for 1968, check copyright date.

Colt letter is from later than the 60's as the copyright date will show. I believe "Colt Industries" were a non-entity in 1968. Check president's name and signiture for his date tenure. These reproduction letters usually come with the "fake" packages.

End label is ripped off box. Box may be original but label was removed (probally because it was fo a different serialed gun) and OBVIOUSLY new serial was added to the bottom of the box.

Nice gun but package seems fishy.

Avoid.

Have fun and be safe.
Nightshade2x

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Good eye, hope2!

Yes, this looks like a "project" piece to me with fakery galore. Gary French was likely in college in 1968; manual is not from this "generation" of Python and most likely a reproduction; I am almost certain 1968 Pythons were not equipped with hang tags. I have never seen an original package with one (can someone confirm this for the OP?); this box has all the characteristics of a reproduction that has been scuffed up and aged to appear genuine; I agree the grease pencil serial number looks wrong.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly reason for post. out the fakes.

the box is the single most important item to the gun. there is only ONE original box per gun. Original paperwork items, while important, can be used correctly in other guns.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
White lettering on the box looks wrong to me. The letter is definitely too new, but the hangtag has the correct string color LOL.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
If everything was right about the gun it would have been gone by now at that BIN price.D*

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mr. French left Colt in early 1990 after ten years. Then he worked for Ruger for almost a year and then went to Bianchi I believe.

John

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I know the seller of above said firearm and know for a fact he more than likely bought the gun in exactly the condition as shown and is just selling what he got. Quite a stand up guy and i'm sure if someone here points out their concerns he will do the right thing.

Don't take offense to a seller not really wanting to meet face to face, I get asked that all the time and I don't want anyone coming around personally. I would much rather describe the gun in detail and offer a return policy if not satisfied. You Colt buyers are a funny breed! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Gary French was president at Colt's from 1981 to 1990, so the letter is from a later gun. Colt didn't have model specific manuals for double action revolvers until about 1974. The yellow hang tag is from the late 1970's. Not sure about the box.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
It is amazing that the "Fake Boxes,manuals and Hang Tags" are more plentiful that the real McCoy.I knew immeadiately that the hang tag and manual was wrong for the vintage of gun so that would have me run for the hills.If this guy is a gun dealer than he should know what the heck he is selling before putting on the fakes and making himself look bad.JMHO

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exactly, this is a beautiful correct box used from late 1967

notice the configuration in the lower right corner. red color cardboard grain rib runs vertical, thanks for posting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts