Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new Python in very clean condition. However, it appears to be developing some pitting (as shown in the attached). With proper maintenance, can further pitting be stopped?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Material property Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
621 Posts
I suspect you might be looking at the results of a refinish that couldn't quite get out all the evidence of pitting. I am not 100% sure of this, however, that is my opinion based on the limited pictures you have provided. It is a good looking gun though so I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you paid a NIB price for it. If that is the case then I might have a talk with the seller. The grips are original Python grips, however, they are not correct for a 1968 Python. Your gun should have 2nd generation grips. This further leads me to believe that this gun has been refinished

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect you might be looking at the results of a refinish that couldn't quite get out all the evidence of pitting. I am not 100% sure of this, however, that is my opinion based on the limited pictures you have provided. It is a good looking gun though so I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you paid a NIB price for it. If that is the case then I might have a talk with the seller. The grips are original Python grips, however, they are not correct for a 1968 Python. Your gun should have 2nd generation grips. This further leads me to believe that this gun has been refinished
Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun Air gun
Gun Revolver Trigger Metal

·
Registered
621 Posts
Based on the new pictures I am almost 100% certain your gun has been refinished. There are more knowledgeable members here and you may want to get a second opinion. As I said if you got a good deal on it and are happy with it just shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
It looks like a decent refinish to me.
The underlying parts had some blemishes.
I wonder if the thing was blue when it came out of the factory.
It is still a fine lookin' revolver.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a very nice looking gun and if refinished done well. However, the seller told me specifically that it was not a refinish and I think it may be as well. I purchased for $2500. I think I may likely sell as I would like to get a 4 Digit Python...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.