Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Looks pretty nice but what is that hole with the pin? in the frame up by the hammer/ Maybe it was for a shroud? Price may be in line with the blue book =I haven't checked it in a while. Seems a little high though,based on what Ive paid for a similar DS a year ago($425)-but that was a year ago-but if the hole is for a hammer shroud, and you have the shroud,some may like it and that may bring the price up to the $600.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks pretty nice but what is that hole with the pin? in the frame up by the hammer/ Maybe it was for a shroud? Price may be in line with the blue book =I haven't checked it in a while. Seems a little high though,based on what Ive paid for a similar DS a year ago($425)-but that was a year ago-but if the hole is for a hammer shroud, and you have the shroud,some may like it and that may bring the price up to the $600.
The hole is a threaded spot for attachment of a shroud. I didn't get the shroud in the deal. It's in really beautiful condition; the pictures don't do it justice. I probably paid too much, but I see these so infrequently, particularly in this condition. I couldn't resist!

Beuford

·
The Consummate Collector
7,514 Posts
The condition looks excellent. You never pay to much for a nice Colt like this, it's just that sometimes you buy to early.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
yes a shroud is needed but one from the same time period. nice DS. $600 seems a little high but you didn't buy it too resell for a profit. enjoy and send a range report.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I always wonder about statements like, "is it worth it". Well, yes , it must have, because you already bought it, right! It is a little late to ask after buying the revolver. As long as you are satisfied with it, then it doesn't matter what others say. Enjoy it. Ron

Passing through the LGS today and spotted a very nice Detective Special in .38 special. Serial number dates it to 1969. I just couldn't pass it up!!

My only question: is it worth $600?

Beuford

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
That's a fine Detective Special. You did well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would not sweat the price. If you feel like you over paid, wait a few years. With how crazy Colt prices are, you'll catch back up.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Love the DS !

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
It looks to be in excellent condition and IMHO at $600 was a good buy, especially looking at SOLD auctions on GB where less conditioned DS(s) went for more. Enjoy it and gives us a range report when you can :)

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I believe I just saw a shroud listed with NUTMEG grips summer specials. One word of caution, the screws used to mount the shroud may be hard to find and may be different than the factory if added on after later. Jackson

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice

Does the cylinder lock up solid with the hammer cocked, Screws tight, No bulges in the Barrel, Muzzle crown should be smooth, is the action smooth, If those things are apparent I'd say you made a good Buy. Usually a Colt that age that looks that good on the outside it most generally is good mechanically condition you need to take the handle off and look at the spring and condition internally ,one good point is it will only grow in value ,and do not shoot +p ammo in it...if you didn't get a manual call Colt and request one You'll have it in 3 days..

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Mikey, one checks the lockup of Colt revolvers with the gun in the just-fired position (NOT hammer cocked position), that is, trigger all the way back, hammer down. Pull the hammer back to cocked position. Pull trigger, and hold trigger fully back. As you pull the trigger, gently lower the hammer. When the hammer is lowered and the trigger remains in the fully back position is when you check the lock-up. We want full lock-up at the instant of ignition.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts