Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -
I was the 'winner' of a GB auction today for a 1970 4" blued colt python here: Colt Python 4" .357mag - No Reserve - 357 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

The python has some wear and non standard grips, but does have some interesting marks on it - anyone familiar with them? D.A.R.Y.L recommended getting a letter from Colt ASAP which I'll do, but thought you fine folks might have some insite.

Also, any recommendation on grips for this pistol, that is, I think they would be Generation 2 grips, correct? If anyone has a set of grips that would match this gun period wise, please PM me.
Thanks for the assist.

Kraaaken
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Exclusive Firearms sells many of these "Exported" Pythons. They left the country and received the said Proofs as they deported.

You will find a few on the backside of the gun as well as some by the serial number.

Some think they are cool but overall the buying public Devalues the gun to some degree. Personally they don't bother me, they are part of the Firearms history.

If you think it is unique, I'll be the bearer of bad news....Exclusive has sold no less than 100 of these in the past few years.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
IMHO I would say less, it's been altered.

If the Python in the auction did not have the Proofs do you think you would've won it for your winning bid?

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will be a fun shooter in any event. Or I'll put it up on Armslist and see if I can make a few bucks on it - my actual bid was $1501 but the winning bid was just over 1300...
Kraaaken

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
The United States does not have a gun proof law, but most European countries do. Once they arrive in country they must be proofed before they can be sold.

Same thing happened to all the 1911A1's Lend-Leased to England in WWII. As long as they were military weapons they didn't have to be proofed, but once they were released for sale by the British government they had to go to a proof house before being sold.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Proof marks and you got a decent shooter grade Python. Stocks that are period original are characterized by the smiley bordering the medallion or referred to as Gen 2 stocks/grips. These will run anywhere from $250 (VG)-$300+(EXC) condition though occasionally you can find beaters around $100ish(sometimes less). If the later send to Swamprat for restoration. Since you've already purchased, the gun is worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Thats the fastest case of buyers remorse I have ever seen :). You should at least give it a chance and hold it in your hand before you dismiss it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Look guys I think you are missing the point, its a sweet 4in python for 1300 plus change, I think proof marks add a tale to the rev. Do not resale, shoot the wax out of it and enjoy. Part of the mystique of the python is the showing of it to your friends who wont even notice the proof marks. you are in a small group that owns any kind of python. Its all good. I would give that for it. The way things are going I dont think we will be able to touch a decent shooter python for less than 1500 or 1800 before too long. Hey werent these things made to shoot. Good score:cool:

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
It's a nice condition Python for the money you paid.
The bottom row of proofs, 1 and 2 are German. 3 and 4, I can't tell what they are but they are probably also German.

If you don't like the proofs, you should considier yourself lucky the gun wasn't imported to the UK. When a revolver was imported to the UK and sold commercially, the British used to place their nitro proof stamps over the cylinder charging holes as well as the frames and barrels.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info and encouragement gang - my instincts were to buy it and that it was a good value, so I'll stick with that for now and let you all know how it shoots.

I like the early Pythons - something about hand made in that era really appeals to me - no computers then, just craftsmanship.
K

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Heck I have a slew of RUGERS with foreign proof marks.....I think they are neat....I would love to have this PYTHON in my collection.....what do you want to trade for ;););) let me know as I do not have a 4" PYTHON in my small COLT accumulation.....RR.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Personally its a python and to me it is a great shooter for someone who has new ones in a box and doesn't want to shoot them. Shoot it, carry it, hunt with it and enjoy it it is one fine revolver.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I did have buyers remorse but now I'm really looking forward to shooting it. Thanks furl the support everybody. I'll send away for a letter from Colton let you know what says

K

·
Registered
251 Posts
it's a Python, shoot it and any thought of buyers remorse will be gone. LOL

I agree. I did have buyers remorse but now I'm really looking forward to shooting it. Thanks furl the support everybody. I'll send away for a letter from Colton let you know what says

K

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found out more on the proofs - The 4 marks are: 2 nitro proof, date and place of proof house-Munich. My Python has a passport apparently.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
So the thing was proofed overseas and then re-imported. So what?
It is still a very nice python for a decent price.
Stop kickin' yourself and go out and blast the bejeezis outa it. You will not be disappointed.
Guys would give 1.3k & change all day for that thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts