Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Very nice!!
Colt's .22LR Conversion Unit's are quite entertaining plinkers. I have a couple. I've never used your pictured ammunition before but I know from experiance that plated lead bullets work the best in these. I use Remington Golden bullets, 1255FPS and these seem to go a couple of hundred rounds before the floating chamber needs a good cleaning. When I got my first one I tried CCI Standard Velocity which seized the floating chamber solid after about 50 rounds. If you are looking for more magazines, both of mine run just fine using GSG magazines. I'll link the thread where I tested several brands of magazines and also a youtube video where I shoot my Conversion Unit using a GSG magazine to quell the doubters. If you can try a GSG magazine first before you buy one just in case it doesn't run in yours.

IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1747.jpg IMG_2016.jpg IMG_2238.jpg

Colt .22 Conversion Unit, what "other" magazines work.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I've have two Colt Conversion Units; one Ceiner .22 Conversion for 1911s; and a Factory Sig Sauer .22 LR conversion unit that fits my German P-220 .45 ACP but not the P-220 .38 Super...

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
This from an old Army shooter...

Remove the floating chamber from your Colt unit, and 'break' the sharp edge a bit - it'll do wonders for continued functioning, and will eliminate most, if not all leading.

Be sure to clean it 'thoroughly' and lube it (I use Pro-Shot's 'Pro-Gold'), and use a hard wax (plated) bullet like Remington's 'Golden Bullet'.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct Judge. I have a supply of Remington and Winchester for all my shooting needs. I have shot some Peters in the past but it was basically the same as its Remington brothers both born in the same plant on Barnum Avenue in Bridgeport.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Would that be a full size frame or Commander? I'm not familiar with that pistol. Colt .22 Conversion Units will work on a .45ACP Commander frame, but it wont look right as you will see behind the frames dust shield.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
MARKO65 - individual results may vary - but my Ceiner .22 Conversion didn't fit a Rock Island 1911 - ejector wouldn't allow the unit to slide all the way on; however the Ceiner fits a 1952 Commercial frame like a glove.....

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a Colt Conversion Unit that I picked up years ago. Bought it and a Colt Series 70 National Match Gold Cup for $1000 about 10-15 years ago. It works great on the Gold Cup Frame. I have it mounted on a 1958 Colt .38 Super frame now and it shoots just as well. Enjoy yours, just clean it well after use.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had a 1970s Colt unit, an ACE II and a Jarvis. Enjoyed the Colt floating chamber kit the most. Starting with the floating chamber well lubed, reliability was good. After I acquired Series 80 Colts, I had a slot machined in the slide for passage of the Series 80 plunger lever, allowing the '70s unit to be used interchangeably on both 70 and 80 Series frames.

·
Registered
414 Posts
FYI- The 80's Brown Box (with two piece styrofoam halves) Colt .22LR conversion kits had two variations- Adjustable rear sights (the more common variation) and the Fixed rear sight. (Which is the harder one to find.)

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
FYI- The 80's Brown Box (with two piece styrofoam halves) Colt .22LR conversion kits had two variations- Adjustable rear sights (the more common variation) and the Fixed rear sight. (Which is the harder one to find.)
Bingo,

And,... there are two versions (slide roll stamp) of the Fixed Rear Sight.

Best Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts