Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1974 (#E6***) 4" blue that I inherited from my father (stored for past 30 yrs) and rarely fired.
Am not a collector and would like to sell. However, when looking at most Pythons in this forum most have checkered grips - mine are smooth. Am pretty sure that my father never changed these. Question is did any come from the factory with smooth grips.
Also, before listing on Gunbroker, would appreciate fair asking price.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Too bad you can't keep it in the family rbj. It looks like your father did a little custom work of his own and took good care of it. You should be able to get at least $1K for it.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum.

I have to agree with the above posters; the stocks appear to be sanded smooth from the originals. That, alone, might hurt your asking price as the Python purists like originality, myself included. I'd keep it in the family as well but if you need the money or just do not collect Colt's take some time to look through gunbroker for like guns condition-wise, and price accordingly. Take lots of clear, close, sharp pictures and describe the gun to your best ability.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You can also try to sell it here on the forum. Too bad you don't want it. I think the best way to get a python these days is as a gift. It will always be worth money. The cash will come and go. The python will always be in hand for that time in need for cash. You don't have to feed it or wash it or cloth it. It will increase in value in time and you can cash it it when need be. Good luck on what you want to do. Great gun with character by the way.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Yes the grips have definitely been sanded down. I cant tell from pics of condition otherwise (the gun itself), but it looks like about a 95% gun, excluding grips, from what I can see. I agree starting it around 900-1000 would be best because you will get some action and get a few bidders on it. I think the gun is probably worth around 1200-1400 as is. JMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses.
Don't need the money.
Gun has been in a closet for many many years. Would rather someone who collects and or uses it have possession.
Problem is determining fair price; that is why I thought Gunbroker would be good idea.

Just looked at eBay and there are many Python grips for sale (some smooth like mine and listed as original factory grips).
I'll give Colt a call Monday and see if smooth grips were available in '74.
If not, do you think it would be worthwhile to purchase original checkered grips and install before selling?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also thanks for all the private messages.
I can't respond until I have 5 posts.
Can email you if you include an address in your message to me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wouldn't. Even if you buy a set of correct factory grips they will not be original to the revolver, and worth what you pay for them at the most. Better to sell it as is, and let a buyer deal with the grips if he (or she, but most likely he) chooses.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
They did not offer Smooth grips in 1974, no need to call Colt (but you can if you feel you need to). I wouldnt worry about buying new grips, they will run you a minimum of $200, and I dont think you would pick more than that up on the back end. I would just leave it as is, the person buying it will be buying it for a good shooter, so the grips probably wont bother them that much. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to call Colt because I don't think grips were sanded down.

Photo of original grips (from another 1974 gun on this forum) show screw head to be flush with surface of grip. Closeup of my grip shows screw head to be below the surface. If checkering had been removed by sanding screw head would now be above the surface.
Thickness of my grip across the screw head is slightly larger than 1 1/4" (1 9/32")

String instrument String instrument Musical instrument Bowed string instrument Violin
If someone would please measure thickness of their original grip, mystery would be solved.

Maybe he installed smooth aftermarket grips.

Big question now is where did he put the original ones. Many many boxes of stuff to look through.

. Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good call

I do not think those are original,the added finger grooves look odd.

as for pricing it will fetch well over a grand.

the box will help sell it and the original grips.

·
Registered
46 Posts
rbj,

I measured two of my Pythons for you. Using a vernier caliper just like in your photo... across the screw holes.
- 1966 type 2 grip = 1.35 inches (1-11/32)
- 1977 type 3 grip = 1.43 inches (1-7/16)

Mike
Wisconsin

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
If we could see the backside of the grips, that would give us an idea if they were original then sanded or aftermarket. It is one or the other. I still am almost certain it is the first because those appear to have been 2nd gens originally by the appearance of them (the picture you have beside them of the originals are 3rd gens). 2nd Gens have the U shaped checkering (or "Smileys") under the medallion and only have the cutout on one side at the top. Also I haven't seen aftermarket like those, but then again I don't look at many aftermarket grips, usually when I do its when some cheat has aftermarkets listed as original. I am a factory original kinda guy.

here is the 2nd gens in pic# 9, 10, and 11.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/pyt...k-reference-thread-place-gen-i-ii-iii-id.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the measurements Long-Spur.
Here are pictures you requested big_gus.
Medallions in picture look silver but are actually gold.

Metal Brass Metal Wood

Problem is my father was a "never throw anything away" type person so I have boxes full of things I haven't had time to go through.
No sense searching for something that doesn't exist if these are the original ones and altered.

As suggested, probably best to sell as is and let buyer decide what to do.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Yes those are original 2nd Gen Pythons grips which have been sanded down and refinished. There is little wood left on the front edge of the grips where your fingers go. Whomever done the work, did a pretty good job. JMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts