Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My local gun store has a 1976 Python which I am interested in buying. This would be my first Python and I want to make sure the price is fair for the age and condition. It looks to be in very good condition, clean, and no signs of abuse or issues. The previous owner did not provide a box or any paperwork/documentation. I looked at Gun Broker and the asking prices for similar Pythons are all over the place. I'm hoping some of the experts here could share their insight and a ballpark range for its value. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Not original stocks...correct and original replacements are upwards of $250 more or less if that's important to you. If it had the original stocks...just judging by the photos and not a hands-on examination a ballpark estimate would be $2000-$2300. Take the value of replacement stocks off those figures.

Reactions: oberon and m_007

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not original stocks...correct and original replacements are upwards of $250 more or less if that's important to you. If it had the original stocks...just judging by the photos and not a hands-on examination a ballpark estimate would be $2000-$2300. Take the value of replacement stocks off those figures.
Thank you for your feedback. The store is claiming they are original and is asking for $2,200. It seems like it might be a little on the high side, and $2,000 might be more reasonable. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
There's no way those Colt/Pachmayr Presentation stock are original to a blued Python and especially on one built during the '70s. Colt didn't start putting those stocks on any Colt until the '80s and even then it would be on stainless or electroless nickel finish revolvers...an even then many of those still shipped with wood. The guys at the store may believe those stocks are original but they're either misinformed or simply trying to salvage a sale at the highest dollar they can.

I'm not gonna say $2200 is too high...but it's ballpark for some regions of the country. It's also not nearly as high as it was several years ago. I won't say don't buy that Python...it looks awesome and is probably worth the money in today's market...but use every tool and argument you can to negotiate the price down. If this is a case where the store or consignor has too much invested in the gun from buying it at the peak of snake madness...it's not your job to bail them out of it.

Reactions: oberon and m_007

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are willing to pay $2200, then tell them it’s a reasonable price but you’re going to have to source original grips (because you are a dedicated Colt fan :) )... so plop $2K in cash on the counter and I’m thinking it’s yours...

P.S. The Pachmayr grips will serve you well at the range, so don’t get rid of them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
There's no way those Colt/Pachmayr Presentation stock are original to a blued Python and especially on one built during the '70s. Colt didn't start putting those stocks on any Colt until the '80s and even then it would be on stainless or electroless nickel finish revolvers...an even then many of those still shipped with wood. The guys at the store may believe those stocks are original but they're either misinformed or simply trying to salvage a sale at the highest dollar they can.

I'm not gonna say $2200 is too high...but it's ballpark for some regions of the country. It's also not nearly as high as it was several years ago. I won't say don't buy that Python...it looks awesome and is probably worth the money in today's market...but use every tool and argument you can to negotiate the price down. If this is a case where the store or consignor has too much invested in the gun from buying it at the peak of snake madness...it's not your job to bail them out of it.
As Snidely points out, the prices vary by region. The $2,200 would be entirely reasonable in mid-Michigan. Can you find better condition in my area, certainly, but at a higher price... Good luck...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community ...

...As others have opined put me down for a +1...take $2000 cash and plop it on the counter. Look into his eyes and tell him those grips are NOT original...and you have proof of it.

He'll cave...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all of the additional input. I decided to trade for the Python instead of paying cash. The trade offer is a gen5 Glock 19, 1,500 rounds of .223/5.56, and 500 rounds of 7.62x51 rifle ammunition. This is in the Tampa FL area for anyone wondering.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
For the prices ammunition is going for...he should have traded you the Python for the ammo alone. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, you might be right. I figured the Glock is easy to replace and worth $600 at most. I’m then getting roughly $.60 per round for the .223 and $1 per round for the 7.62. That comes out to $2,000. Actual cost for the Glock and ammo was $1,400.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Glocks are disposable Tupperware...I really don't mean that as a detriment...I own a couple of Glocks. They are fine tools. But as someone else has said...Glocks have no soul. When you want a tool you use a Glock...when you want to make a statement you use a Colt Python! I guess I'm letting my age show...steel and walnut speaks much...plastic doesn't...at least not in the same way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glocks are disposable Tupperware...I really don't mean that as a detriment...I own a couple of Glocks. They are fine tools. But as someone else has said...Glocks have no soul. When you want a tool you use a Glock...when you want to make a statement you use a Colt Python! I guess I'm letting my age show...steel and walnut speaks much...plastic doesn't...at least not in the same way.
I know what you mean and agree. I have plenty of Glocks but nothing that cannot be easily replaced. This will be my first Python, and I’ll need to get the walnut stocks for it :)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I know what you mean and agree. I have plenty of Glocks but nothing that cannot be easily replaced. This will be my first Python, and I’ll need to get the walnut stocks for it :)
Let me know when you are ready for original gen.III stocks I have a couple pair to choose from. D*

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Even without me reading what you paid for ammo - You did real good on that trade .
Welcome , and enjoy that Python !

·
Registered
178 Posts
I figured you get it... the sign in the picture says “coming soon” after all :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me know when you are ready for original gen.III stocks I have a couple pair to choose from. D*
Hi Daryl. Absolutely, if you have some walnut stocks for this generation then I would be interested in purchasing some from you. I'll send you a PM. Thank you!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gorgeous revolver, congrats!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts