Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 1977 Colt Python nickle 4", with a letter from colt stating it was issued to Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor vehicles ( Fl Troopers) and he wants a premium because of it, does it really increase value with this document? Appreciate the info....

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
There are some collectors of law enforcement firearms. They might attach a premium of some amount to it. If it's not marked as being a police gun doesn't mean it is a police gun...the letter is the only evidence. Florida State Police did issue nickel plated Colt revolvers, Pythons included.

If you want it but don't care about it being issued to the FL State Police then don't pay the premium. Just because a seller says it does doesn't necessarily mean it does.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Found a 1977 Colt Python nickle 4", with a letter from colt stating it was issued to Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor vehicles ( Fl Troopers) and he wants a premium because of it, does it really increase value with this document? Appreciate the info....
According to the book "Seven Serpents" there are two line items for the Python attributed to the Florida Highway Patrol, both in very low numbers.

One line states "Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Association Special Edition".....400 total
Other line states "Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Special Edition".....100 total

In any event it looks like you found a Python that was not released in high quantities...

OWC

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I suppose you can look at it from several viewpoints. First, it does sound "romantic" to some people to own a state or department issued gun but the very fact of the gun is it was carried daily, in and out of a holster a lot and OF ALL STATES, Florida, the wettest and most muggy state there is. Means that gun, if authentic, likely should have a horrible finish. I had a close friend (now deceased) that was a deputy for I think, Dade county. He carried a nickle 4" model 19 S&W. I suppose before stainless guns in the 70`s the guys in those muggy area`s seemed to prefer nickle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
According to the book "Seven Serpents" there are two line items for the Python attributed to the Florida Highway Patrol, both in very low numbers.

One line states "Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Association Special Edition".....400 total
Other line states "Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Special Edition".....100 total

In any event it looks like you found a Python that was not released in high quantities...

OWC
I am pretty sure the “Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Special Edition” of which 100 were made and the Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Association Special Edition of which 400 were made had special engraving on the gun.

That is probably different than what the OP is talking about. I don’t think regular issue guns had special engraving.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am pretty sure the “Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Special Edition” of which 100 were made and the Colt Python Florida Highway Patrol Association Special Edition of which 400 were made had special engraving on the gun.

That is probably different than what the OP is talking about. I don’t think regular issue guns had special engraving.
Yes sir, you are probably correct. The book did not describe any detail on those two line items other than the fact they were listed under the "Limited/Special Edition Production Totals"...you're right-why would a regular issue gun be listed in the limited/special edition section?

Sorry...I hope my enthusiasm did not add any confusion to this...

OWC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts