Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I purchased a 1978 Colt Detective Special as pictured below. .. Grips are NOT original to the gun, it came with those pachmayr grips which were pretty old so I just replaced them with those shown to make it look a bit better. Took it out, & shot a few rounds, took it apart and cleaned it real good, the Gun and seems to be very clean, tight and trigger is crisp, shoots well, and the bluing is all there. I cannot find any holster wear, seems to me like it has been a dresser drawer gun. I do however see a few small blemishes on the left side plate, nothing serious but they are there. Gun came with the little 1978 Colt DS Manual, but owner could not find the Box! I was thinking of selling this gun to raise some funds to be able to afford a used Colt 1911 Defender 3" .45 ACP. How much do you guys think I should ask for this DS, what is a fair asking price?
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Even though it doesn't have the original grips ,I'd try to get $400 for it You might even get $450 That's just my guess

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
My dealer has two for sale . The one like yours with the rubber grips is $480. I would take off the wood grips which would be better on a 4 inch revolver ,and put the original rubber grips back on . The oversize wood grips ,IMHO ,are a turn off to someone looking for a ccw revolver. Then again ,considering the velocity loss from the 3 inch 45 ,and the stopping power from a 2 inch DS loaded with 158 lhp Buffalo Bores, I would keep the 38.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would tend to second Lawmans suggestion and also if you're not quite familiar with 1911s, a three inch version can be difficult to handle. I've seen a lot of three inch 1911s in 45acp for sale just because the owner either couldn't handle them or didn't like them after shooting them. Another question that you would need to answer is which one do you shoot better with. If you do decide to sell the gun and remove the wood grips (pictured) let me know as I'd be interested in them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are right, I always thought the wooden grips were a little too big, but felt well in the hand when shooting though but a little big for CCW.
I put the rubber grips back on, and took a few Pics.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

This is the Real original 1978 Colt Detective Special Grips, Better for CCW yes...

·
Registered
181 Posts
That example looks pretty clean and if you follow some recent gunbroker auctions to completion, I think it reasonable to expect 500.00 and maybe a touch more if you include the wooden grips. I personally believe for CCW you are better off with the DS. But then I like .38 spl. for the application and I do hear that there are SOME very reliable 3" 1911s nowadays. I love the full size 1911 but be aware that the geometry of JMB's original design is pushed to it's limits as far as reliability with a 3" pocket rocket.

JMHO

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whatever Grips You Choose You have one of the best Firearms ever made .I have a 1973 Colt 38 Detective Special. ,I have rubber grips for range and winter months time but they print too much to C&C during the summer with those grips so I when I carry it in the summer its with the original walnut grips..Your Colt is Gorgeous.I just purchased My Colt a Range and Carry Mate a Beretta PX 4 9mm The Colt is every bit as good but 40 years older... Everyday carry Material property Gun accessory Belt Fashion accessory Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Material property Bicycle part Torch Photography Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
330 Posts
Whatever Grips You Choose You have one of the best Firearms ever made .I have a 1973 Colt 38 Detective Special. ,I have rubber grips for range and winter months time but they print too much to C&C during the summer with those grips so I when I carry it in the summer its with the original walnut grips..Your Colt is Gorgeous.I just purchased My Colt a Range and Carry Mate a Beretta PX 4 9mm The Colt is every bit as good but 40 years older... View attachment 39958 View attachment 39959 View attachment 39960 View attachment 39961 View attachment 39962
I bounce back and forth also. My 94 came with the medallion rubber but for carry I do like the wood and insert set up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like what both Mikey and TheDS use as their DS grips, I just love the feel of wood vs rubber. I also tried to get a set like those but heck they are hard to find and if I do find a pair they ask for such ridiculous prices... usually around $180.00 to $250.00 and they are a NOT NEW set either??. I also ordered a set of the Tyler-T's Late last March, even thought they cashed my check, I have not gotten anything from them as of today. Calls and email to them go unanswered, so I guess I have been taken! Maybe someday if I keep trying to find them I might success, hope some little old lady has them laying around somewhere in her attic and is willing to get rid of them for a song ...:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Handle

Got My Pachmyr Grip at a Bill Goodman Gun Show ,Tooth Pick- Q tip soap and water Tooth brush Dipped the original Screw head in Black Enamel paint, and a good application of Armor-All Like new For $12..

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
The Revolver forum is not the place to buy/sell guns .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Emperor's New Clothes, Big thanks to BigRix! He was kind enough to sell me a "Just about New" set of Original 1978 DS Stocks.

It is a beauty now, You are all correct, They are now no longer made and are great Snub Nose Revolvers. I definitely will not sell it now since I like it so much!. Compared to my other two S&W M60's snubbies the colt handles and shoots better, it is just harder to keep the Blue in pristine condition.

Gun Revolver Firearm Starting pistol Trigger Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger Airsoft gun Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts