Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

need some opinions please.

i have found a 4" python, blued in what looks to be great shape. it is "excellent" appearance wise.

the ser. # is v182xx. from what i can determine this makes it a 1980 vintage.

my question is quality. i know firearms, like cars, can vary in quality even when made in the same year. this i know. can anyone say how '80 was in general. did the labor problems of the time affect quality?

also, colt made a ton of pythons in 1980. (see below)

1980 - V88374 to V99999, AL0101 to AL9999, LA0101 to LA9999, VA1001 to VA9256. K01000 to ????

that's a lot of revolvers right there. was proper care and quality control watched?

can some of you offer an opinion as to whether i should just be patient and wait for something from the 60s to early 70s or should i just take the plunge?

he is asking $800 shipped.

thanks a lot,

mikem

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Re: 1980 Python question

As I've often said in this forum, guns are not vintages of wine.
There are NO "good" years or "bad" years.

Each gun must be judged on it's individual merits.
LOOK at the Python. If it looks good, shoots good, and is in good mechanical shape, it IS good.

IN GENERAL the guns from the 50's and 60's had better polish jobs, but that's about the extent of general statements.

·
Registered
991 Posts

The current market would make $800 for the "V" series Python in excellent condition a pretty good deal. You can do some homework right here on this forum and find the right questions to ask before making an internet purchase of a gun you can't actually hold in your hand before buying. Get as many pictures as possible, and also post a picture here before making the purchase. You'll get some good feedback.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Actually, your serial number dates this Python to 1978. The first serial number used in 1979 was V36737.

·
Registered
323 Posts

I must second the prior opinions about the merits of 'individual' guns.
This same topic is always raging with regard to Smith & Wessons as well.
In my own experience, two of the best Pythons I've owned were a 1978 and a 1980! Likewise, I own some outstanding S&W's from 'bad' eras and some lackluster Smiths from the 'golden eras'.
Good advice to get all those pictures. Ask lots of questions. Read lots of books and articles.
Remember, anything you plan on shooting should probably not be an unfired safe queen...Don't pay for what you won't need.
Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

guys,

thank you all for the input. here are some pics per manderson's suggestion:

thanks again,

mike

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: 1978 Python question

The pictures are a little dark, but it looks very nice. Have you held this Python in your hand? Because you state it is "$800 shipped", I assume you haven't. What is the sellers detailed description? Has it been fired? Does it lock up tight?

Here is some good educational information to consider before purchasing a revolver:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat...=true#Post10818

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Bottom line is you need to decide for yourself based on all the information you have about it. We can help if you have specific questions.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts