Colt Forum banner

1978 'Shooter' Options

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  tacticalhillbilly 
#1 · (Edited)
Got this at a decent price but it has spots of Rust on it! I was wondering if I can clean it? I have cleaned with 0000 Steel Wool but I don't know about this finish!?!?! The action is smooth and tight as my other Python. I wanted a shooter and I got it!Can I clean it up at all?

How would I go about cleaning the hammer?

Should I sent it to Colt for a Nickel job?

Should I send it to Bob Coogan at APW for a Hard Chrome?

I want some feedback as I will have fun playing with this one!

And don't get me wrong I love the OLD DOG look! I just don't want surface rust to start pitting!

See less See more
#2 ·
WD-40 and a microfiber rag might help to remove some of the surface rust.After that Ren-wax and shoot the snot out of it.I would not have it refinished.It's worth more the way it is.D*

#5 ·
Judge Colt turned me onto a product called frontier 45, kinda like steel wool except it doesn't hurt the blue, only gets rid of the rust. I would use that with a good quality oil, clean it up, wax it and shoot it. The ads are cheap as well and really work

#10 ·
You said you want to have fun with it and are thinking of a refinish at some point. Consider sending it to Colt and seeing if they would do their cerakote finish on it. I have been pondering for awhile what a Python would be like with that finish. Just an idea for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.