Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1979 Blue Colt Python 6” barrel in near perfect condition with the original receipt of purchase. It was sent to magna-port to be ported (receipt included) but othherwise it appears to be flawless. Asking price is $1500. Question is should I shy away due to the magna porting or does it hurt the value all that much?
any direction from the forum would be appreciated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
$1500 would be a good price for a shooter; assuming it functions and shoots good. IMO other than factory original porting means it is not a collector.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's actually going to be up to you. Everybody is different, some people don't mind and some people do. As far as collector value magna-porting hurts the value. I'm sure most people that want to buy a Python would rather not have it magna-ported.

To tell you a story, i bought a 6 inch Python around 13 years ago that had been magna-ported and was flawless, i was so excited to have it, about a year later, i took it to a friend of mines gun shop, showed him and he said that who ever did that ruined that gun. Then later i took it to a gun show and most of the dealers either said that gun shouldn't of been magna-ported or they didn't really like it. I decided to sell that Python and i never would buy another Python that was magna-ported but some people don't mind, so it's kind of up to every individual.

Back when Python's were being produced magna-porting would be o.k. but now i'm sure most people would not send one in to be magna-ported especially since they have collector value. Most of the Python's out there that are magna-ported were done years ago.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
$1500 is a better than usual price for most any Python that is good functioning and still good looking.

I guess your indecision involves the port, as it would mine, but from all accounts I have ever heard or read, if you are going to port a gun, you can do no better than from "Mag-Na-Port Arms". ((I believe now it is Mag NA PORT International ?)

That company was the baby of Larry Kelly with his "E D M" process, and brought about by his distress at shooting a Ruger .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk. The gun magazines of years past were full of articles about the process, and the man. Seems he worked for NASA during the Apollo days ??

The cuts were highly touted to bring not only some physical attributes but added value as well. The added value thought process has waned quite a bit in the collector world. :D...However, I do believe Smith & Wesson is magna porting some of it's "performance Center" magums fitted with the shorter "snouts" even now.

If you recall from the receipt, I would be interested if the work was done in Fraser MI. or the later location in Mt. Clemens, MI. ?

I think I would plunk down my $1500 and be the proud owner !

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
FYI - I have seen nicer condition, all original Pythons sell on GB for less than $1500 and this was in the last year. Experience and expertise is the deciding factor when it comes to paying the "norm" multiple thousands or an actual realistic price ranging from $1K-$2K.

One forum member I was helping, and who inspired me to write my buying guide, ended up landing a like new 8" Python with box/papers for $1500. He used my advice and techniques as a basis. This was about 6 months ago.

Magna-Porting killed most of the value for that Python, however, for $1500 you could certainly do worse. If I needed a good condition shooter with all packaging, I would be tempted to buy it. Just don't expect on making a profit if you have to sell, which to genuine gun enthusiasts shouldn't be of major importance anyway.

Reactions: Kraaaken and ponyup

·
Registered
471 Posts
personally i would love to find one in stainless to take hunting........always wanted to shoot my grizzly but i bet a python would have a better trigger.......i would want to pay 1200ish for what you describe if it had like new colt wood grips i would pay more and sell the grips off separately
....if it were ME

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
FYI - I have seen nicer condition, all original Pythons sell on GB for less than $1500 and this was in the last year.
Do you have any links to these?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
$1,500 for 6 inch barrel ... buy it and shoot the hell out of it, where can you get a 6 inch for that price. Pretty fair price for sure...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep in mind......Blued guns that are Mag-Na-Ported have at least the barrel re-blued, as the heat of the process damages the finish. You have an altered and refinished gun which makes it a shooter more than a collector's piece.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Probably it's only a matter of personal liking but in all honesty as a shooter I wouldn't buy a used COLT Python, least of all a Magna-ported one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would pay $1500 for a Python shooter, magnaported or not. Some of my favorite shooters are the factory Power Ported S&Ws. Really loud but throws a mean fireball!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts