Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30 years after selling my Python (my first handgun) to a guy I used to work with, she is back in my hands!
The gentleman passed away and his widow contacted me, and the rest is history!
Problem is he had installed a scope and had removed the rear sight which luckily he saved, but the pin is missing.
Does anybody know what the pin size is and where can I find it?
Shown on the picture is a 1/16" roll pin.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Don't know the size...but get a solid pin.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,624 Posts
I used a .039" pin punch to remove these sight pins and as I recall, that's the size the roll pin is.

In any case, any hardware store will carry the correct size roll pin, but you may need to cut one off shorter to fit the frame width.

"Roll pins" are actually split tension pins, but everyone calls them roll pins.
Very acceptable substitutes are the shank of a drill bit, or a cut off section of an Allen wrench.
These are often preferred for Colt sights on automatics due to the greater stress of the pin when the slide operates causing the pin to break.
Revolvers are not under near the same stress and I very seldom ever saw one broken in normal use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a .039" pin punch to remove these sight pins and as I recall, that's the size the roll pin is.

In any case, any hardware store will carry the correct size roll pin, but you may need to cut one off shorter to fit the frame width.

"Roll pins" are actually split tension pins, but everyone calls them roll pins.
Very acceptable substitutes are the shank of a drill bit, or a cut off section of an Allen wrench.
These are often preferred for Colt sights on automatics due to the greater stress of the pin when the slide operates causing the pin to break.
Revolvers are not under near the same stress and I very seldom ever saw one broken in normal use.
Didn't occur to me to check hardware stores. ( not too many around anymore) the other ideas are good too! Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,624 Posts
Just take the rear sight to any better hardware store and select a roll pin that will be a slip fit through the pin hole in the sight base.
You don't want a tight fit or too loose a fit.

Buy the nearest length that fits then cut it off to the correct length and you're good.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community FLHunter...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just take the rear sight to any better hardware store and select a roll pin that will be a slip fit through the pin hole in the sight base.
You don't want a tight fit or too loose a fit.

Buy the nearest length that fits then cut it off to the correct length and you're good.
Olof from Deerhollow, is sending a few pins in the mail, can't wait to get them. My friend also got rid of the originals grips and replaced them with some Eagle grips. I am waiting for some "original copies" I got form ebay. Not sure what I'm going to get. If I don't like them I might try what deerhollow has...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Contact my uncle he closed his shop about 5 years ago. He was in business from 1973 and was a Colt warranty service station. He has parts. his name is Paul phone number is (781) 632-8845. If you want the correct part.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Don't know the size...but get a solid pin.
I would not recommend that, since a solid pin will require a much more precise fit than a roll pin. It will come loose if it's too small, and it will damage the hole (and can also stick really bad) if it's too large. A roll pin is very sturdy, and it's more than adequate for this application.

The roll pin used with the Accro sight is not a proprietary Colt part, it's a generic 1/16" x 5/8" roll pin. It's blued on blue and nickel guns, and stainless on stainless guns. I bought 50 of both types for about $10 shipped many years ago, so it's a good and cheap part to keep on the shelf. Also, the tiny balls in the Accro sight are not Colt parts either, they're just 1/16" bearing balls that you can buy dirt cheap on eBay (like $10 for 1000). No need to pay the parts houses $5/ea, and you better get a fair amount since half of them will magically disappear while you're trying to install them. :p

Anywho: The roll pin shown in the first post is way too big, probably 1/8" or 3/16". I sent some 1/16" pins to OP last week, so they should be there pretty soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Contact my uncle he closed his shop about 5 years ago. He was in business from 1973 and was a Colt warranty service station. He has parts. his name is Paul phone number is (781) 632-8845. If you want the correct part.
Thank you for the reply. I just got some pins from Olaf at Deerhollow and they are the right ones. But I'll keep your Uncle's info in case I need something else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would not recommend that, since a solid pin will require a much more precise fit than a roll pin. It will come loose if it's too small, and it will damage the hole (and can also stick really bad) if it's too large. A roll pin is very sturdy, and it's more than adequate for this application.

The roll pin used with the Accro sight is not a proprietary Colt part, it's a generic 1/16" x 5/8" roll pin. It's blued on blue and nickel guns, and stainless on stainless guns. I bought 50 of both types for about $10 shipped many years ago, so it's a good and cheap part to keep on the shelf. Also, the tiny balls in the Accro sight are not Colt parts either, they're just 1/16" bearing balls that you can buy dirt cheap on eBay (like $10 for 1000). No need to pay the parts houses $5/ea, and you better get a fair amount since half of them will magically disappear while you're trying to install them. :p

Anywho: The roll pin shown in the first post is way too big, probably 1/8" or 3/16". I sent some 1/16" pins to OP last week, so they should be there pretty soon.
I did receive the pins from Deer Hollow I they are the right ones! Thanks Olaf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts