Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little info on my recent purchase of a Python Hunter. My Seven Serpents book has the Hunter coming out in 1981 with a K prefix and mine has a 1980 Ser no with a LA Prefix. Is this common ? Or were there early Hunter Models coming out? I am fairly new on productions of Python sub models. Thanks for any knowledge I can gain. IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3756.JPG

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I don't keep track of the "special edition" Pythons of the '80s as they don't interest me, so I don't have any dates as to production beginning and ending or serial number ranges.

Which means I can't fully answer your question, but I wanted to point out that the blue on your barrel appears different from the blue on the frame. Now that could mean a re-barreled gun, or it could mean the picture is playing tricks, or it could mean the quality was just lacking and therefore the barrel don't match the frame which is completely possible during this time period.

I'm sure someone has paid attention to these specials to know dates or serial ranges.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't keep track of the "special edition" Pythons of the '80s as they don't interest me, so I don't have any dates as to production beginning and ending or serial number ranges.

Which means I can't fully answer your question, but I wanted to point out that the blue on your barrel appears different from the blue on the frame. Now that could mean a re-barreled gun, or it could mean the picture is playing tricks, or it could mean the quality was just lacking and therefore the barrel don't match the frame which is completely possible during this time period.

I'm sure someone has paid attention to these specials to know dates or serial ranges.
Your eyes were not deceiving you as I was playing with light when I took my barrel pic so the barrel is not a changed one. I was able to talk to Paul S at Colt and I have a letter coming and he said it was more than likely a frame pulled off the production line as that happened all the time back then. Thanks for your reply and I cant wait to get my letter on it to see when it was assembled. I will post a pic of the letter when it comes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your eyes were not deceiving you as I was playing with light when I took my barrel pic so the barrel is not a changed one. I was able to talk to Paul S at Colt and I have a letter coming and he said it was more than likely a frame pulled off the production line as that happened all the time back then. Thanks for your reply and I cant wait to get my letter on it to see when it was assembled. I will post a pic of the letter when it comes.
MadDog49 - What did you find out about the ‘80 serial number with the LA Prefix? Did you ever get your letter from Colt?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts