Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi John, I love the little Detective Specials too, and you have a nice one there. The wood grips you have on it are very nice. Maybe even the most attractive I have seen.

But just to let you know, your last picture showing the rubber as "stock grips" is probably not correct. If indeed your DS is an 80's vintage then it could not have come with the rubber shown. If you recall Colt stopped making the DS around 1986. All of the shrouded DS of the 80's vintage came with a wood grip with no medallion.

The rubber style of grip was not used until they began making DS again around 1993. So either your rubber grips are not original to the gun or you gun was made somewhere around 1993.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The S/N is RD7XXX, if someone can date it that way. I searched & found the box & papers in storage; bought it used, in 02/96, like new, not even a ring around the cylinder. It came with the rubber....

So if it is a '93 or so, that makes it easier to explai n the shape it was in when I got it, and thanks for letting me know- clearing up misunderstandings is a good thing.....

And in any case, I like this little .38 a lot......

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them- not what they do to him- that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

[This message has been edited by Poohgyrr (edited 11-16-2004).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, that S/N is outside the range that I have data on. However my best guess is that it is a 4th issue (1993 to 1995). This is based on the S/N range that I have in my collection for 3rd and 4th issue Detective Specials. Although I do own a number of 3rd issues that give me a good S/N sample range, I only own one 4th issue and as such have collected no data on them other than my one S/N.

Sounds like you have the original box from you prior post. If you know for sure this is the original box or case then I can ID it to either 3rd or 4th issue, removing all doubt.

The 4th issue should have come in a molded blue plastic case that had a whitish designed outer cardboard slip cover. If yours came with this style of case and it is original to the gun then it is a 1993 to 1995 for sure. My 4th issue is XXXXRD and was purchased new in 1995. I suspect your is an earlier 4th issue.

If it came in a woodgrained box with 2 styrofoam covers and it is original to the gun, then it is a 3rd issue from mid 70's to mid 80's and the grips would be incorrect. A quick call to Colt will tell you for sure, but I'd place my money on a 4th issue.

That's all I got!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, that is certainly more than I knew before. Thanks again.

My blue plastic box is inside a sort of white cardboard box with brownish Colt pictures and designs all over it, and the matching S/N, caliber, bbl length, finish, Model (D1425), and I guess bar code, on one end flap.

Oh, and the price back then, $257.52 OTD. I'd say those days are long gone.

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them- not what they do to him- that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is one I bought used, like new, a while back. The bluing show much better in person & looks great with these like new cherry wood grips. These really are great little .38s..

------------------
John
Northern CA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is the other side:

------------------
John
Northern CA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here are the stock grips:

------------------
John
Northern CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts