Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been beaten to death, but should I be wary of buying a 1980 Python? Should I be worried about the quality? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
A 1980 Python should be a wonderful Python...but that being said...every Python should be taken on its own merits. After forty years it could be worn...it could be out of time...it could be absolutely perfect in all respects. As a rule...there's nothing to worry about with any era Python...until it's been inspected.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Posted on another thread was a reminder of the Colt strike from 1986-1990. I would likely be more skeptical of pythons made in that time frame. Pre-strike pythons likely fine but evaluate each on its own merits. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the past I owned two COLT Pythons made in 1980 and 1981 and they were simply perfect. All depends on its previous owners.

Reactions: Magungo1066

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the trigger on a nineties model!!! Will see how she is. I made the best informed decision I could, and will live with the results like a big-boy. Life is too short to not shoot a Python. My brother bought a vintage RX-Z at 23, and I bought a Python for the same price as that car. Call me crazy but this is my dream gun!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Didn't Colt have a long, drawn out strike in the 70s that wound up with UAW getting in there?
FWIK for sure there was a long period of strikes from 1986 until 1990.

Reactions: Magungo1066

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just pulled the trigger on a 1995 Python... how were those years generally? Were the nineties ok in terms of quality generally?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,994 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a 1995 Python... how were those years generally? Were the nineties ok in terms of quality generally?
Again, you have to judge the gun on it's own merits.
All you can really say is that overall Colt quality of the 1990's wasn't up the standards of the quality of the 1950's, which was better then the 1960's, which was better then the 1970's...etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts