Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking over a 1982 SAA 4-3/4" .44 SPECIAL, blue with box and papers; owner wants $1,000.00.
I have done a search here on these and most seem to say early 80's were poor quality years.
The fit and function seem good. Should I walk away?

Premium Member
Price is in line possibly IMO. Condition is everything. Photos are best, but what would you rate the condition of gun and box? Fit, finish is a concern for those years, but you have the opportunity to verify it to your liking.
Addendum: That barrel length and caliber are desirable IMO, and I I also think it would be an easy gun to sell if you ever wanted to, because of that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only hesitation was that it was built in 1982 and most people on the site 'search' feature said to stay away of early 80's SAA. I will take another look today.

Premium Member
If you can check the feel of the action and it's satisfactory, the parts fits flush, then you can't beat that price. The thing that honestly holds me back from the early 80's guns is the dull case coloring. I'm a collector and a shooter. That's a shooter price, so if it operates well then it would be a buy for me. You can't find a newer production third gen right now without a lot of looking and luck

Registered
I agree that it's a good price, but even at that price I'm still not sure that I'd buy it. My gun buying budget is limited and I need to consider each purchase I make. I'd have to ask myself, do I spend $1,000.00 of my limited budget on an early 3rd gen, which probably doesn't have the best fit and finish, or do keep looking and spend a little more to get a SAA built to real Colt standards? If this was going to be my first and possibly only SAA purchase, I'd definitely pass; If it was just going to be part of the stable and maybe used as trade bait I might consider it. I can't afford to accumulate SAAs just because it's a decent deal.

I mentioned this in another recent thread on 3rd gen quality:
"What's really eyeopening is if you have the opportunity to examine a high condition 1st gen SAA, and then compare it to a typical early 3rd gen SAA; the difference will jump out at you."

"Some of the issues that you want to look for are: the fit of the backstrap and trigger guard should be perfectly flush to the frame, you shouldn't be able to feel the joint; the radius of the "horns" on the top of the backstrap should match the radius of the hammer, and the top of the "horns" should blend and smoothly match the frame; all the edges should be straight and crisp, not soft or slightly rounded from over/careless polishing; there should be no end shake of the cylinder in the frame; if you are able to, try the action and see how smooth it is."

Best regards,

Premium Member
I'm in the same boat as you,I don't have a lot of money for guns so when I do tuck away enough to buy one I want the most I can get for what I have. I would wait till the right gun comes along, You'll know it when it comes, and it will. I went to an auction in Feb to ckeck out an early 2nd gen 45, it went to high but they had a 2011 made 44-40 NIB 5 1/2 inch that I got for 700.00. Right place at the right time....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I pick up the SAA in question but before I made the purchase, the guy brought out the following to show me:

1894 SAA 7-1/2" 1st gen. BP frame .44-40 FSS, 1904 SAA 7-1/2" 1st gen. with cross pin release .44-40 FSS, SAA 5-1/2" 2nd gen .32-20, SAA 1959 7-1/2" .45 unturned new in black box with ivory stocks, 1960's SAA 7-1/2" .45 unturned new in the red/white/black box with ivory stocks, and about 5 Colt Bisley models in various condition. I have dibs on two of the above items, awaiting pricing.

Before I get to side tracked...another question about the 3rd gen. that was purchased. It appears to be in unfired condition as I can not see any evidence of that on the frame, cylinder or barrel. However there is a black grease in the barrel, cylinder and in corners of the frame. Was factory grease black in color? or would this be powder residue (it does not smell like burned powder)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.