Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My father has given me a 1985 Colt MKIV Series 80 Lightweight Officers ACP that he has carried for many years. I grew up learning to shoot with this 1911 and am honored to be able to call it mine. I don't ever remember witnessing a malfunction of any kind either, it truly is an incredible firearm. There are a few things I would like to do to this pistol, including replacing the Rat Tail grip saftey with a more comfortable up-swept one, as well as a lighter hammer. I am also curious about barrel bushings and guide rods to help relieve the stress on the recoil plug tab. My main concern is what parts are compatible with my pistol. I have heard that the commander is similar in size. Keeping in mind my lightweight model has an Aluminum frame. Are parts like the barrel bushing, slide stop, slide safety, interchangeable with other series 80 or newer parts? Any advice would be appreciated.

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
The short answer is no. Nice Colt, its the Officer's ACP I'd want. The lockwork parts are compatible; slide stop, trigger, hammer, sear/sear spring, disco, grip safety, safety lock, pins & stock screws, and magazine catch. The rest of the parts are model specific as the Officer's has a shorter slide then the Commander.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum....great to have u with us....you have got a great pistol....mine was the stainless version of your gun...Dad's was identical to yours...well i can tell u lots of things about this gun..My father bought one of these brand new and i owned one of these and did all the modifications u have asked about....they are all very easily done and parts are readily available....i can look thru my old notes for all the parts numbers for u if u are interested....for the trigger i found a brand Kimber one...for the beavertail i found that the Wilson Combat parts worked the best and took the least amount of fitment and fit and finish was excellent...they are expensive as parts go but well worth it...i personally liked the hammer so i did not change that at all...for the barrel bushing and spring and guide rod assembly...i found this great company EGW making them and they are hands down the best out there and worked so well.....parts for this that will interchange are the trigger ....the beavertail is different and the hammer might be too....i did not mess with mine so i am really not sure...i did add a magwell to mine and used Smith and Alexander...they are very well made...well worth the price too...if u need any help...please let me know...God Bless,John....
i would also suggest a good leather holster like a Milt Sparks VM2...i have got two recently and they will make carrying this gun so comfortable too...
a while back i made a thread about my gun....here is the link...God Bless,John
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-series-80-officers-acp-i-love-even-more.html

Reactions: Coltsformysons

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have an 85 in all steel I found in a LGS in 2015 with box etc. for $650. Nice pistol.

EGW makes spring kits for Officers. Below is one in SS I got for a 2000 SS Compact (same as Officers) but they also make them in blue. EGW also makes bushings and will make them to specific ID on OD dimensions. The original double springs etc. can be found but will take some intergoogle surfing. I found some on Ebay which were new parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts