Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a well-used 1991 A1 which has a trigger pull of 8 to 9#. I bought a kit from McCormick including a hammer, sear, trigger and sear spring. When I reassembled the gun with the new parts I was not getting hammer/sear engagement. What do I need to do right the next time? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
Buy a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt .45 Automatic: A Shop Manual, Volume One".

This is available from Brownell's and Midway for about $30.00.

This will answer any questions about fitting parts, and how to diagnose WHY something isn't fitting or functioning correctly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If it were me, the trouble shooting approach I would take is to first re-install all the original parts. Ensure that the gun functions as before the installation of the new parts.

Since you made multiple changes (spring, hammer, trigger, and sear) at the same time, you don't really have a good idea on what change contributed the most to the current malfunction. Or if you possibly installed something incorrectly. So I would install 1 of the new parts at a time and assess the function after each individual change. This way you can narrow down what change contributed most, or caused the malfunction.

I would swap in the spring first and check function. Then the hammer. Then the trigger. And finally the sear. Checking function after each component is installed. When a malfunction is found you can then investigate why. The specific order is probably not important, but reducing your variables to a single change at a time, is important.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the absolutely solid advice! I think the sear spring is the best place to start. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts