Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got the average, run-of-the-mill M1991A1 in the parkerized finish. Bought it used, but it was "Like New". Came with box, manual, etc... Well, whoever had it before me had installed pewter grips and and the recoil guide extension. I wanted to put it back to "stock" condition so I replaced the extension rod with the regular size one. I swapped out it's cheezy plastic trigger for an aluminum one. Now, I want to replace the Ambidextrous safety with the normal one. I need to replace only one pin and the safety itself. I see where fusion has the 1911 safety. Do you think that'll be OK? I mean, the only difference in the ambi safety (L/H side) is that the pin stops halfway through so the R/H side safety can interlock with it. I think the replacement safety will probably just go on through without that interlock thing.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Yes, the stock thumb safety has a longer pin that goes through the frame to the right side. You will probably have to fit it correctly. There are U tube videos on the fitting process. But, if you are not comfortable with fitting the safety I suggest you take it to a 1911 experienced smith.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, when I replaced the trigger, I did that myself, hence my post offering help to anyone working on a series 80 receiver using series 70 (which seems to be all there is out there) instruction. I'm just wanting to know that when I remove the L/H side safety (and the tiny pin which protrudes to the R/H side - which serves as a "guide" for the R/H side safety), and that I'll replace that "guide" pin with the smaller one, then all I'll need to do is just remove the L/H safety and simply replace it with Fusions. It appears to be Plug and Play, but...

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
All the single sided L/H thumb safety that I have seen has the guide pin that goes through the frame as part of it. Its all one unit.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
It appears to be Plug and Play

All new safeties will need to be fitted and checked for proper operation. These are made oversized in key areas to allow fitting to the individual gun. They don't drop in in Plug and Play form.

At a minimum you'll need to carefully stone the safety engagement lug where it contacts the flat face of the sear.
The lug must press very lightly on the flat and not allow ANY movement of the sear when the trigger is gently pulled.

Depending on the gun and the new safety, the safety may need fitting in other places. It's not unusual for a safety shaft to be too tight a fit in the frame hole, or for the safety to have too much or not enough "snap" when engaging or disengaging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts