Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Very nice gun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I bought a Detective Special new in the box in late 1992. It came with smooth walnut service stocks. It also came in the blue plastic blow molded case. Supposedly it was one of 500 that Colt's produced as a pilot run before resuming production again, the serial number starts with AD0 and is in the high 400 number range.

I put a set of 3rd series wrap around checkered walnut stocks on it. Those Pachmayr grips with the Colt medallion are expensive if you try and find a set on ebay, so if you replace them put the originals somewhere safe.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Funny story - Years back, I traded into what the seller offered up as a Colt DS made in 93/94 he said. I wanted the gun just as a carry piece, so made the trade. It had the period correct rubber grips as you pictured, so I never gave it a second thought. Several years later, I actually checked the serial number in the data base and found it to be an early 70s birth year gun! I was very surprised and happy with this coincidence. I've since then put on correct wooden grips from that year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Detective Special with the underlug barrel. The serial number look up shows the gun being made in the mid 1960's.Which does not make sense because if made then it would not have the under lugged barrel. It to came with the rubber grips. Which I have changed to wood.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
The underlug barrel didn't show up until the '72/'73 time period. Either you gun has a replacement barrel, or your mistaken on the serial number/year of production.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My detective special must of had a Barrel replacement. The serial number is 923411 which comes back as a 1964 or 1966. It has the under lugged barrel It also came with the rubber grips with a metal colt emblem in the grip. Which I changer to wood.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
My detective special must of had a Barrel replacement. The serial number is 923411 which comes back as a 1964 or 1966. It has the under lugged barrel It also came with the rubber grips with a metal colt emblem in the grip. Which I changer to wood.
Your Detective Special must be from the mid-'60s though '68 or early '69. Colt shortened the butt frame during the mid-'60s to match the Agent frame and if yours has the Colt/Pachmayr rubber grips it would have to be after the frame was shortened. After the Gun Control Act of 1968 all firearms had to have a unique serial number and yours has no letter prefix or suffix so it was before that change.

Another way to date it is to look at the firing pin. If it has a hollow firing pin in the hammer rather than a solid pin, it would date it to the roughly '65-'67 or so time period.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
"The serial number is 923411"
That should date the production to 1966. I suspect it's had a barrel replacement with a later style post-'72 barrel...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts