Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired my first 1st gen Colt SAA; a Bisley manufactured in 1908. The grips are a somewhat ill fitting rosewood. So I ordered replica OEM Bisley grips from TripleK, and I could not install them because of gaps and overlaps at the top of the grip strap. Trying to research any grip variations but nothing so far. Anyone have insight into original Colt Bisley grips and any variations and most importantly, where I can buy well fitting grips?

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I had chipped originals, so bought some replicas 20 years ago. I had to do some sanding on the back and maybe an edge to get them to fit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bisley grips are very difficult to fit. There are many corners and curves that have to be fitted. I have never found bisley grips to interchange. There seems to be many variations in the shape of the bisley grip frame. To get repo grips to fit is almost impossible. I use over size blanks and individually fit to each frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides the replacement grips not fitting, were I to sand off the places where there is excess there would still be big gaps at the top. By big I mean about three or four millimeters(maybe 1/8-3/16"). I found a template for Bisley grips on the N.C Ordnance website that matches the replacement grips I bought. Notes said old design; so maybe I am looking at a change made once the Bisley was rated for smokeless? Or some other late model grip change.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I second the recommendation of reaching out to Don Furr. He has quite a selection of original and I think re-pop grips!

I've bought Bisley grips from him previously. Actually shipped the back strap and grip frame to him and he buckled it up to another gun and fit the grips to my rig.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
3 for 3 Dutchman...Good Job !!

A Gorgeous 1st Gen Colt Bisley

Yea, that's the Original Colt Bisley Grip Frame / Stocks...

There have been many shape varieties since that style was first designed for target pistols to compete at the British Commonwealth Championship Match in Bisley, England in 1894.

Here's just one of many examples of that metamorphosis as seen on my Old Model ( Blackhawk Frame ) Ruger Bisley Vaquero...

Note the curvature is not as dramatic...

Sorry to say...there won't be a cheap way around it...invest in stocks fitted by a Master Smith /Maker and consider it added value to an already valuable piece of history...and family heirloom.

...I'm waiting on Buffalo Horn Stocks for the one above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of ill fitting, I have discovered the cylinder on the 1908 Bisley is NOT .44-40. Near as I can tell it is .38-40 lacking my Brown & Sharpe caliper I have misplaced. Barrel slugs fine but neither my .44-40 load or snap caps will fit. A .40 bullet will fit in the cylinder. A .427 will not. Sigh...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Some to the cylinder throats on earlier 1st gen SAAs and Bisley 44-40s are VERY tight and won't chamber more modern cartridges. I have a 1st gen 44-40 that I had to have the throats opened up to be able to use.

Best regards,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts