Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on another forum and a member posted a photo of a family heirloom SAA from the 1880's along with the "original" box . It was brown leatherette with a gold colored horse on top . I'm not a box expert but I recollect seeing these boxes before and they weren't 120 yrs old .

Aren't original boxes black in color ?

Btw , it was an obvious refinish but I didn't want to rain on his parade .

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
You sure don't see many early boxes but seems me to that they are maroon purplish in color and some of them have a drawing of a single action on them.....can't remember if it's on the top of the box or the inside of the lid....I've got a picture of 1 or 2 of them on my home computer that I'll check this evening.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
The brown leatherette boxes with gold imprinting were used in the late 1940's and early 1950's for Woodsman pistols and some double action revolvers (Officer's Model, 3-5-7 and maybe very early Pythons).
There is a photo of two pre-1900 Single Action Army boxes on page 408 of "The Official Record of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver 1873-1895" by Don & Carol Wilkerson and Kathy Hoyt ((2008). The photo shows boxes with a red or pink top with the Rampant Colt logo, a drawing of the revolver, the name of the revolver and Colt's company name. After about 1905, SAAs were shipped in the same black or dark maroon type box that was used for many other Colt pistols and revolvers.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I was reading on another forum and a member posted a photo of a family heirloom SAA from the 1880's along with the "original" box . It was brown leatherette with a gold colored horse on top . I'm not a box expert but I recollect seeing these boxes before and they weren't 120 yrs old .

Aren't original boxes black in color ?

Btw , it was an obvious refinish but I didn't want to rain on his parade .

Thanks !
I've only seen the pink(ish) looking boxes.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Agreed, not a pre 1900 box by any stretch.

More good pictures in last quarter's Rampant Colt with a good article. Very rare boxes! Colt wasted nothing and back then you might get a new gun in a box with a different Colt model pictured on it.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Agreed, not a pre 19oo box by any stretch.

More good pictures in last quarter's Rampant Colt with a good article. Very rare boxes! Colt wasted nothing and back then you might get a new gun in a box with a different Colt model pictured on it.
Hey stranger. Nice to see you make a post :)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Been over here more and more lately. More interesting subjects and more members. When I 1st joined some years ago there seems to have been only a couple of new posts per week in the sections I was reading.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Been over here more and more lately. More interesting subjects and more members. When I 1st joined some years ago there seems to have been only a couple of new posts per week in the sections I was reading.
I for one am glad to hear it. Most of us have wheelguns from both companies.
In case some of you gents don't know him, Hondo44 is a gentleman of the old school and a very knowledgeable pistolero.

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great info guys . It was exactly what I needed .

Welcome back Hondo :cool:

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The brown leatherette boxes with gold imprinting were used in the late 1940's and early 1950's for Woodsman pistols and some double action revolvers (Officer's Model, 3-5-7 and maybe very early Pythons).
There is a photo of two pre-1900 Single Action Army boxes on page 408 of "The Official Record of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver 1873-1895" by Don & Carol Wilkerson and Kathy Hoyt ((2008). The photo shows boxes with a red or pink top with the Rampant Colt logo, a drawing of the revolver, the name of the revolver and Colt's company name. After about 1905, SAAs were shipped in the same black or dark maroon type box that was used for many other Colt pistols and revolvers.

- - -Buckspen
I knew I'd seen those leatherette boxes but couldn't recall where . Not with a SAA in it though , I did recall that much . Thanks Buck !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts