Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Well I think it is a later barrel as a 2xxx gun should have the "tall" sight ramp and this appears to have the later "short" ramp....

Well at least to my old eyes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: other than that and the "splintered" stock looks good....RR.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Definitely not the original barrel, seller states in his description that the original hollow lug has been replaced with a solid lug barrel. That and the damaged stock panel makes me wonder what the value is? Can't be a collector piece, it looks nice, but $2,600 seems high for a shooter. Or is the market now sky high for non original Pythons that look nice? That serial number(2894) would be a good one to remember just in case it comes up again as all original.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The writing on the right side of the barrel is in a larger type on the early guns. The replacement barrel has the newer, smaller type.

Reactions: TFlyboy

·
Registered
229 Posts
When you open the cylinder on a hollow lug barrel, you can look down the under lug and see that it's hollow. On the later solid under lug barrels, when you open the cylinder it is obviously solid. I can't remember when the barrel address changed. I have a late 1971 Python, serial E21102 that has the same type address as my 1957 but has the solid under lug barrel. When the address type changed they changed the Connecticut abbreviation from CT to CONN.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The larger font style changed in the area of 1967-1968 I think not 100% positive. Also the threading on the barrel happened way in later years. You can tell by the sight if it has 2 pins it is the old thread if it has 1 pin it is the new. One won't fit the other.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
As far as what it is worth or not that is matter of opinion. Some prefer the older guns for what ever many reasons and some prefer the new. To me I don't care one way or the other long as I get an opportunity to buy one in good shape I will. People say the older ones are fit better but I say all Pythons were hand fit so that doesn't hold water. I say buy what makes you feel good and enjoy what ever you purchase for many years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.