Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a hop, skip and a jump from Reno. I have heard that the Reno show is a good source for old Colt SAAs. But, which show?

I see that Crossroads of the West has a show about every other month, then there is the March "Big Reno Show" at the Grand Sierra Resort. Are there others? Which is the best for numbers of old SAAs?

I'd rather buy a good old 1st generation SAA than a new 3rd custom if I have the opportunity, and being able to actually see and handle the gun before buying it is a distinct advantage over online auctions.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I am a hop, skip and a jump from Reno. I have heard that the Reno show is a good source for old Colt SAAs. But, which show?

I see that Crossroads of the West has a show about every other month, then there is the March "Big Reno Show" at the Grand Sierra Resort. Are there others? Which is the best for numbers of old SAAs?

I'd rather buy a good old 1st generation SAA than a new 3rd custom if I have the opportunity, and being able to actually see and handle the gun before buying it is a distinct advantage over online auctions.
Big Reno, Look for Tom Burness.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Thankyou. That gives me three times as much shopping time! What is it about Tom Burness that I should know?
I remember him and all his old western guns at the Sacramento gun shows in the 1980's. It seems like I dealt with him before but it wouldn't have been a gun because I couldn't afford the antique stuff he sells.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When you go to Reno make sure you go by Scheels in Sparks, they claim they are the largest sporting goods store in the world and with a Faris Wheel in the middle of the store I don't doubt it.

I have had great luck finding very hard to find ammo there. Quite an experence!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
The "Big Reno Show" is definately a great place to see and purchase 1st Generation Colts. My last acquisition there was a 1907 45 Colt with a 4 3/4 in barrel all original with honest wear for much less than a new 3rd Gen. I have also seen serial #114 on display at the show, as well as numerous rare and famous Colts.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I only went to the Big Reno Show one time, in like 1998.

Wow, just "WOW"...

HUGE!!!!

Seemed like a very very good place to buy, far far more than a good place to sell.

So many Sellers, a Thousand Tables or more...takes hours just to get through part of it, let alone, taking Notes on items one may want to go back and get, if, a better one or better deal does not occur further on.

So big, people who start off trying to do that, end up getting overwhelmed or confused or forget where they saw the better or best deal...and or, are afraid to buy anything, because, a better deal is likely to appear a few, a few dozen, or a few hundred Tables up ahead.

Whew, it is an adventure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts