Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1st generation 45 LC revolver that I'm going to sell. I have been told a few asking prices but can anyone else help or lead me to where I can find out a fair price for the gun? It has all matching serial numbers as well as being all original. You can contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
126 Posts
That one looks very good. And maybe a 4 digdt S/N ? You might try Collectors in Houston Texas, but they will first try and talk you out of it. The blue book is a good reference. Depending as to if the finish is orginal and all fuctions, I'd look at a starting price of at least 4,000. Also check the auction sites for a asking price . A letter from Colt is always a very good investment, about a 125.00 . But you might call them first. I let one go a long time back .NOt near as good of shape as yours appears . But I got about 1400 for it.If I'd held out , I found later I could have gotten a lot more, Best of luck............MUTT

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a difference in price on the early black powder frames.In 10% about $4000 and $3000 later model.The amount of finish left is also a big factor.Nickel is a negative on these early guns.The market for guns like these are not so much collectors but guys who want to own a part of history and can't afford the $40,000 condition price.A letter would be a good investment if the gun has any kind of history or falls into the Custer range the price will go up.So I guess the right answer here is do your homework before you sell.Good Luck

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Oufree,

The best way to determine a fair price for you gun would be to try an auction on one of the internet sites. You wil get good exposure and the bidders will tell you what market value is.

I can't read the serial number of your SAA from the photo, but the number placement seems to suggest a five digit serial number rather than a four digit number. Also from the photos it appears that the barrel has been cut from a 7 1/2 inch to about six inches which is not one of the lengths offered by Colt. The front site appears to be altered as well and the ejector rod housing screw is not original to the gun. Neither are the grips, which appear to be home made, and are not well fitted to the grip straps. As for military (Custer) useage, there are no military acceptance markings visible on the gun in the photos you do show of it.

Again your best bet would be to try an on-line auction for the best price... Hope that helps. Bob Best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have tried online to do some reseach but having trouble finding similar ones. Can you suggest on line sites to put this on for me?

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is AuctionArms where you can set a reserve.Also GunsAmerica you will find a whole section of colts on there,and GunBroker.They are all .com's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts