Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I'm new here and would like your opinion on my first generation colt Artillery. Has the original and correct 5 1/2" barrel, original R.A.C. stocks and is in wonderful condition. It's lettered through Colt and John Kopec pics attached. In john kopec's letter, he states that the trigger guard and blackstrap of this revolver #5593 were from the sixth lot from 1874. The Seventh Cavalry derived their revolvers from the sixth lot. For more information read the pictures attached. How common are these "Seventh Cavalry" revolvers. Are there many still around?Additionally I'd like to establish some value and more information on it. Any help and information would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,182 Posts
Here are some pictures and a link to an Artillery I sold a few months ago. The buyer wanted a Kopec letter prior to his purchase. I agreed to send the pistol to Kopec. I felt good about the pistol prior to the purchase and had no problem sending it off. It did receive a Kopec blessing. The pictures I posted are very accurate as to the condition. Out of respect to the buyer, I won't give exact numbers, but I will tell you it sold for over 7500 and under 9000. You can compare the pictures to your pistol and maybe come up with a value. http://www.americanarmsandantiques.com/photos/id903-img21122.jpg[/IMG]]American Arms & Antiques : guns collectibles Winchesters Colts Civil War Cowboy Era

http://www.americanarmsandantiques.com/listings.php?id=903#http://www.americanarmsandantiques.com/listings.php?id=903#

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Very nice looking revolver. In my experience some premium is attached to Artillerys with Custer range frames but not so much for other Custer range Parts. The 1901 dated stocks indicate refurbishment occurred in that year. The Artillery was ordiiginally altered in 1898 by the Springfield Armory as the Factory shows no record of original alteration by the Factory.I would be interested in pictures of the serial numbers including the cylinder and barrel. I also I would like to see Kopec's letter. These would be helpful in opining on the fair value of your Artillery.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,182 Posts
Very nice looking revolver. In my experience some premium is attached to Artillerys with Custer range frames but not so much for other Custer range Parts. The 1901 dated stocks indicate refurbishment occurred in that year. The Artillery was ordiiginally altered in 1898 by the Springfield Armory as the Factory shows no record of original alteration by the Factory.I would be interested in pictures of the serial numbers including the cylinder and barrel. I also I would like to see Kopec's letter. These would be helpful in opining on the fair value of your Artillery.
Take a look at the link I posted. All numbers are shown.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
You certainly have a very nice artillery model Colt! The gun shown by mental has more case color and cartouched grips but appears to have less blue remaining. IMO(!) the value of your guns is 5500.00-5800.00. Personally I place a high value on cartouched grips ( if memory serves, only the gun refurbished at Colt were cartouched.) but the amount of finish that remains justifies the mid to high 5K estimate.

Once again, IMO, the triggerguard number being from lot six adds nothing to the value. Maybe something more if it was frame number but #5542 was issued to 2nd Cav. #5637 was a 7th issue but then #5657 was a 6th Cav issue! I have #5113 which lies between 5100 and 5128 both Custer guns but until someone finds hard proof that they were indeed issued to the 7th we can only speculate!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts