Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATED 1st Generation Colt SAA Serial Numbers 1873-1940

Here is a link to my list of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by famous Old West lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, soldiers, and other noteworthy people.

UPDATED 3/3/2020

http://www.swshana.com/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST EDITION.

Rusty Edwards

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback! Several blog members have used my serial number list to discover interesting information about their Colt SAA revolvers. For example, Pittstate03 learned that his gun (SN: 117844) had been carried by hired gunman J. C. Johnson during the "Johnson County War" in Wyoming (1889-1893). During this conflict, a group of cattle barons employed several gunmen from Texas to kill and intimidate small ranch owners who they saw as a threat to their livelihood. Several people were murdered before the US Army was called in. They rounded up the gunman and confiscated their firearms. Pittstate03 learned that his Colt was documented as one of these guns.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
191 Posts
Rusty that list you have is amazing. Do you have one as well for lever guns?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
azcbpk9, thanks for the feedback! Sorry, I only maintain a list for 1st Generation Colt Single Action Revolvers.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
191 Posts
No worries and thank you for the reply. I have a couple colts on your list and hoping to find a few more that are still hidden out there

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is the link to the list of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by famous lawmen, outlaws, and other noteworthy characters.

http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

NOTE: AFTER YOU'VE OPENED THE LIST, BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE.

New SNs added during the 5/1/2018 update.

SNs added during the previous update.

Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Rusty Edwards

Hi Mr. Edwards,
my name is Roland Vladut, SAA collector and gun dealer from Bucharest, Romania. I have 7pcs. 1st gen. Colts in my collection :
1. .44-40 SN 64361 (1881) Barrel =7.5 inch
2. .455 Eley SN 76682 (1882) nickel, barrel = 5.5 inch (London address)
3. .45 c SN 165135 (1896) blue, barrel = 7.5 inch
4. .45 c SN 173919 (1897) Blue, barrel = 4¾
5. .44-40 SN 345862 (1923) Nickel, barrel=5.5 inch
6. .32-30 SN 345416 (1923) blue, barrel= 7.5 inch
7. .45c SN 7275 (1874) US Ainsworth inspected, blue, barrel=7.5, cylinder Nr. 8036

Are the above-mentioned SAAs interesting for your list?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Roland:

Thank you for contacting me from Romania through the Colt Forum. You have a wonderful collection of 1st Generation Colt Single Action Revolvers.

The purpose of my list is to identify historic figures (outlaws, lawmen, gunfighters, soldiers, etc.) who owned a particular 1st Generation Colt Single Action Revolver. My intent is not to collect the names of ordinary people who happen to own one or more of these guns. I hope this makes sense.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
20 Posts
Roland:

Thank you for contacting me from Romania through the Colt Forum. You have a wonderful collection of 1st Generation Colt Single Action Revolvers.

The purpose of my list is to identify historic figures (outlaws, lawmen, gunfighters, soldiers, etc.) who owned a particular 1st Generation Colt Single Action Revolver. My intent is not to collect the names of ordinary people who happen to own one or more of these guns. I hope this makes sense.

Rusty Edwards
Hi Rusty,

I was thinking about my Ainsworth SAA SN 7275 which acording to Kopec, Graham and Moore it might be a 7th Cavalry gun and maybe even one which was present at Little Bih Horn.

Best Regards,
Roland Vladut

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This 262 page Acrobat (.pdf) document provides "ownership information" on 2,842 1st Generation Colt SAA Revolvers (Peacemaker, Cavalry, Artillery, Frontier, & Sheriff's models). I want to thank the dozens of forums members who helped me gather and archive this valuable information.

http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

Rusty Edwards

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Awesome Work! I have 161077. 18 below Kid Curry Logan's gift to C.H. Smith! meaningless, I suppose....but very cool!

THANKS for a great reference list, Ruster!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent work, Rusty. It's appreciated.

My 1940 PW/PW SAA is No. 357231, toward the last of those made/listed. It is not on your list yet. The factory letter shows matching
original 45 Colt and 5.5 in barrel. Blue. It is engraved, resembling Wilbur Glahn's work with scroll pattern. Finished with plain
genuine ivory stocks.
Spent career time with the US Army and US Immigration(US Border Patrol-graduate).

Thanks-
LtCol Ridge Marriott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your list has our SAA #6828, issued to the 5th calvary during the Indian Wars prior to its time with the NY militia where it sat in rack 77. NY 77 is carved into the original walnut grips. Our grandfather purchased it for protection as a bank teller in 1915. Kopec has personally inspected it and it is is in unbelievable condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
our family treasure

Your list has our SAA #6828, issued to the 5th calvary during the Indian Wars prior to its time with the NY militia where it sat in rack 77. NY 77 is carved into the original walnut grips. Our grandfather purchased it for protection as a bank teller in 1915. Kopec has personally inspected it and it is is in unbelievable condition.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations on having a great piece of history! You said that Mr. Kopec inspected it. Did he issue a written report, i.e., an authentication letter? If so, could you post it here? We'd also love to see a photo of this early Colt SAA revolver. Thank you.

Rusty Edwards

1 - 20 of 75 Posts