Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Fantastic vagabond88! I'm always looking for new 1st generation serial numbers to add to my list. Just as a reminder, I'm only looking for the serial numbers of 1st generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, cowboys, soldiers, military units, famous mining companies, stagecoach or security companies, and other interesting people or organizations. Just because it was shipped to a particular retailer (like a hardware store in St. Louis) won't get it added to the list.

Rusty Edwards

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I recommend that you get a letter from Colt to find something about your 1983 Colt SAA revolver. This will show when it was manufactured, the configuration when it left the factory (barrel length, finish, type of stocks, etc.), as well as the name of the place it was shipped. In most cases, the identity of the entity where the Cot was shipped will be a retail store or wholesaler; however, in some instances it may show the name and address of an individual. I suspect that this will be about all the information you'll be able to learn about a Colt SAA revolver made in 1983. I hope this helps.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi Ruster, I joined today in this forum. I recently purchased a Colt Single Action U.S. nickel plated serial number 50254. Can you let me have some news about this revolver? you can shoot with this old revolver? I can even send you some pictures.

Many thanks and Regards

Emilio (from Genoa Italy)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Emilio, your Colt Revolver (SN: 50254) is listed on my registry of historic firearms (see link below). Congratulations! According to the book "Colt Cavalry & Artillery Revolvers, A Continuing Study" by Kopec & Fenn, after your gun was altered to the Artillery configuration, it was issued to Troop A, 1st Nevada Volunteer Cavalry. This unit was in the Philippines during the Philippine Insurrection from 2/4/1889 to 7/4/1902.

Please use the lower section of the Colt SAA blog to post information about your Colt SAA revolver. Include some photos, as many of us would love to see your gun.

http://www.swshana.com/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recommend that you get a letter from Colt to find something about your 1983 Colt SAA revolver. This will show when it was manufactured, the configuration when it left the factory (barrel length, finish, type of stocks, etc.), as well as the name of the place it was shipped. In most cases, the identity of the entity where the Cot was shipped will be a retail store or wholesaler; however, in some instances it may show the name and address of an individual. I suspect that this will be about all the information you'll be able to learn about a Colt SAA revolver made in 1983. I hope this helps.

Rusty Edwards
Hello Rusty,

Keith Cochran added 2 of the Colts in my collection to his book and they are already on your list. #4238 - a Rough Rider gun - #47614 - a New York Militia gun. (also in Kopec's book)

Not sure if this one qualifies, but here it is: #10280 - Colt Letter - Factory Refurbish - United States Government Commanding Officer Springfield Armory, Springfield, Massachusetts, April 17, 1903 (200)

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello Rusty,

Here is another U.S. Artillery model from the same shipment to Sprinfield Armory.

#10344 Ainsworth - converted to 22 rimfire by Robert F. Enewold ( famous gunsmith / U.S. Military Survival Consultant ) [see Cochran Encyclopedia]
Sent to Colt Factory for engraving 1930s - Engraving attributed to Wilbur Glahn.

Gun was built and customized for Sheriff "Fay A. Brown" (inscribed) - Sheriff, Reno Kansas

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello Rusty,

Here is another U.S. Artillery model - #33978 - Colt Factory Letter - United States Government, US Gov. Inspector, Colt Plant, Feb.13, 1877 (9th ext of 1st contract, 2003 guns) (LD Lewis Draper)

"B12" Militia Marked

Kopec Letter - Springfield Armory Refurbished 1898 (5-1/2" bbl cut)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I updated my serial number list on 1/8/2019. BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO GET THE LATEST EDITION.

http://www.swshana.com/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

PLEASE NOTE: I will only add the serial numbers of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, cowboys, soldiers, military units, famous mining companies, and other noteworthy people or organizations. Just because a Colt SAA was shipped to a particular retailer (like a hardware store) won't get it added to my list.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
87 Posts
I updated my serial number list on 1/6/2019. BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO GET THE LATEST EDITION.

http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

PLEASE NOTE: I will only add the serial numbers of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, cowboys, soldiers, military units, famous mining companies, and other noteworthy people or organizations. Just because a Colt SAA was shipped to a particular retailer (like a hardware store) won't get it added to my list.

Rusty Edwards
Hello Rusty Edwards,

Just to be sure. You're not interested in U.S. Artillery and U.S. Cavalry revolvers, unless further identified to a particular unit or individual soldier? What if a Kopec letter identifies the U.S. Military Company to where it was shipped? Still not interested in those?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
buckstix, thanks for your question. You are correct, for the purposes of my serial number list I am only interested in US Artillery and US Cavalry revolvers if they are identified with a particularly unit or individual soldier. This requirement is certainly met if Mr. Kopec indicates the gun was issued to a particular US military company, such as Company K, 4th US Cavalry. The fact that Colt delivered a gun to a US government representative at the factory is too general and is not by itself good enough. I hope this clarifies things.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
87 Posts
buckstix, thanks for your question. You are correct, for the purposes of my serial number list I am only interested in US Artillery and US Cavalry revolvers if they are identified with a particularly unit or individual soldier. This requirement is certainly met if Mr. Kopec indicates the gun was issued to a particular US military company, such as Company K, 4th US Cavalry. The fact that Colt delivered a gun to a US government representative at the factory is too general and is not by itself good enough. I hope this clarifies things.

Rusty Edwards
Hello Rusty Edwards,

Thank you. I undestand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Several blog members have used my serial number list to discover interesting information about their Colt SAA revolvers. For example, Pittstate03 learned that his gun (SN: 117844) had been carried by hired gunman J. C. Johnson during the "Johnson County War" in Wyoming (1889-1893). During this conflict, a group of cattle barons employed several gunmen from Texas to kill and intimidate small ranch owners who they saw as a threat to their livelihood. Several people were murdered before the US Army was called in. They rounded up the gunman and confiscated their firearms. Pittstate03 learned that his Colt was documented as one of these guns.

Rusty Edwards
There is a story I ran across a couple of years ago, about this part of the Johnson County War.
I thought I would share it if you don't mind.

https://up.picr.de/35179551gs.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Colt SAA serial number 563x

just wondering is you have any info on a Colt saa 45 serial number 563x. I really don't want to put the whole serial number on the forum. it looks like an unscrewed with 7 1/2 Custer range gun. All stamping on the gun is very clear. very little pitting. no finish. grips are worn but intact. Ainsworth stamps look correct. serial numbers match. gun looks all original except cylinder pin is a replacement along with the retaining screw. you can contact me at [email protected]

Here is a link to my list of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by famous Old West lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, soldiers, and other noteworthy people.

UPDATED 3/24/2019

BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST EDITION.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Rusty, how do I submit a gun and what kind of provenance do you need? I have one with a Colt letter showing shipped to the individual and a second with a personal letter stating the gun was owned by a Texas lawman.

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
Here is a link to my list of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by famous Old West lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, soldiers, and other noteworthy people.

UPDATED 3/24/2019

BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST EDITION.

Rusty Edwards
Colt SAA #33186 is one that I acquired in the 1960's in South Texas. It has the usual mixed numbers of having been Colt or Arsenal reworked at least once, with a 5-1/2" barrel. Kopek's book identified it as one of three dimensionally-exact Colt SAA's. Within the last two years he wrote a follow-up article in what I think was the CCA magazine. All three guns are now accounted for.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts