Colt Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just discovered this thread -- not sure how I missed it before -- but here goes:

I have #5305, which I've had John Kopec authenticate. I inherited it from my grandfather, who passed away some years ago. The only document I've found in his records that indicates how acquired it is a single page from what appears to be a typed listing of firearms for sale. There are four other SAAs listed on that page -- #886, #9460, #18992 and #140064. I'm hoping that by determining who that listing was from that I can trace the history of my SAA. Any input would be appreciated!

Bill

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
1st Generation Colt SAA Serial Number List Updated

I updated my list of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by famous Old West lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, soldiers, and other noteworthy people on 3/3/2020.

http://www.swshana.com/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST EDITION.

Rusty Edwards

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
I'm frequently asked where I find new serial numbers to add to my database. Here's a good example. The first link below will take you to an article entitled "A Firearms Treasure Hidden in Plain Sight" by Phil Spangenberger in the Feb/Mar 2020 edition of True West Magazine. It describes Colt SAA SN: 255919 once owned by Maj. Gordon W. Lillie, better known as noted frontiersman, Wild West showman, and sharpshooter "Pawnee Bill."

I added this new serial number, along with several others that I recently came across, to my Mar 3, 2020 update (the second link below). Be sure to refresh your browser to get the latest version.

http://truewestmagazine.com/article/a-firearms-treasure-hidden-in-plain-sight/

http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just to add to your list #69717 is currently owned by part time outlaw, full time in-law me. Rumor has it when not plundering stagecoaches this dastardly character works as a plumber. Big reward for my capture... good luck. Also big thanks for all your work, it’s a great list and very interesting as well as informative. Keep it up

·
Registered
518 Posts
Matt, I don't think your Colt will make the list.....;)
OK
(copied from Rusty's post)
The purpose of my list is to identify historic figures (outlaws, lawmen, gunfighters, soldiers, etc.) who owned a particular 1st Generation Colt Single Action Revolver. My intent is not to collect the names of ordinary people who happen to own one or more of these guns. I hope this makes sense.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Rusty ,
Awesome research. I enjoyed reading through that list. I was wondering you could direct me in the right direction to research an old Cavalry gun I picked up. I know of Kopec but I believe his business is down right now. I also know of the colt letter request. Are there any other places I can research or use as a reference? Serial number range is 15,434. I have shown quite a few collectors who all speculate it was an Indian capture due to the botching of the US marking, but thats about as far as I can get. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The last column on my serial number list shows where I got the information about each Colt SAA. I recommend that you examine several of the fine reference books written by John Kopec and others. Then, I'd contact the Springfield Research Service, Buffalo Bill Cody Center of the West, NRA Museum, and similar places to determine what information they might have available. I'd also write to Man at Arms Magazine to see if they may have published anything about Indian-owned Colt SAA revolvers. In addition to these things, I'd do an extensive search on the Internet. Sometimes you can find the name and contact information for people who are legitimate experts in the topic that you're researching. Good luck!

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think this one should make the list. Owned by Lash LaRue. It's a 45 cal - non-factory engraved by J.W. Thompson - Pearl Grips w/ carved Steer Head w/ ruby eyes.

Alfred "Lash" LaRue was a popular western motion picture star of the 1940s and 1950s. He had exceptional skill with the bullwhip and was one of the main inspirations for the character of Indiana Jones. This gun is now in my collection

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I added your splendid Colt SAA, once owned by actor Lash LaRue, to my serial number list. I will be publishing the updated list in another week or so. Thank you for posting photos and the necessary documentation.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
191 Posts
I see the domain has expired. Do you plan on continuing it?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I didn’t realize that my domain registration expired. I renewed it this afternoon, so my serial number list should be available again.

Rusty Edwards

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I may have stumbled onto a 1st generation colt. Thru blind dumb luck and recently taking an interest in the commemorative Colts I was showing my AC man a few Colts I’m doing research on to be able to properly dispose of. He whips out his cell phone and shows me a few pictures, two of which I share here. He stated that all provenance had been lost in a house fire , but that if he remembered correctly, it’d belonged to Outlaw Sam Bass. I guess I’ll be contacting Colt to try to document if this is truly the case. Serial # 20449. Here are a few photos. Any help determine it’s provenance would be helpful. After a quick internet search I see there are museum pieces associated to Sam Bass. I can’t help but wonder if this one did actually belong to him at one time ?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts