Colt Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Colt SA 3840, its serial number brings it in at 1906. how can I find out more about it.. thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I recommend that you obtain a factory letter from Colt. This will tell you when and where it was shipped, and provide the original configuration (barrel length, type of grips, etc.). I also suggest that you carefully review the information available on this forum about .38-40 caliber Colt SAA revolvers. If you post some good quality photos, some of the experts who frequent this site may be able to tell you if it is in original condition or not, as well as its approximate value. Good luck learning more about your 1st Generation Colt SAA revolver.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recommend that you obtain a factory letter from Colt. This will tell you when and where it was shipped, and provide the original configuration (barrel length, type of grips, etc.). I also suggest that you carefully review the information available on this forum about .38-40 caliber Colt SAA revolvers. If you post some good quality photos, some of the experts who frequent this site may be able to tell you if it is in original condition or not, as well as its approximate value. Good luck learning more about your 1st Generation Colt SAA revolver.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate the advice and will do just that and post photos of it here. its in such good condition the serial number on it kinda threw me. thank you again .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I picked up the Colt finally and the serial numbers on it all match. it has all the correct markings.on it,im going to put in for the letter from Colt as you suggested to learn more. cleaned it up a bit. please excuse the photos taken w my phone. its dull lighting so they didnt come out very well

·
Registered
328 Posts
UPDATED 1st Generation Colt SAA Serial Numbers 1873-1940

Here is a link to my list of 1st Generation Colt SAA revolvers owned by famous Old West lawmen, outlaws, gunfighters, soldiers, and other noteworthy people.

UPDATED 12/22/2020

http://www.swshana.com/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER TO ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST EDITION.

Rusty Edwards
I have 68106...but it had nothing to do with Prussia. It went to a dealer in the Kingdom of Württemberg. The Name was Reuss (a rather big one...).
Peter

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Great find! I'd love to own a Colt SAA once owned by Wells Fargo & Company. Can you tell us how you came upon it. Thank you.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got it from my local gun store. From what I was told Doug Turnbull went through the mechanicals and made sure everything was good. I’m friends with the owner of the store, business is booming right now, he got a good deal on it, so he passed that deal to me. He didn’t authenticate it, so it was priced as if it wasn’t a Wells Fargo. I can’t wait to dig into the history of this particular pistol even more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for posting this Rusty. By looking at your records I found out that my SAA was shipped to the Copper Queen Mining Co in 1902. It's been refinished and had it's barrel and cylinder replaced with .38 Special versions somewhere along the way but it's nice to know a little more history about the gun.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts