Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be shooting my 1890 Colt 41 SAA, and my 1906 Colt Bisley 38-40? I want to keep their value, but I love shooting them too.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Guns (even old Colts) are made to shoot. I personally think it is great to see these old-timers still being used.

Don't abuse them. Keep pressures reasonable and you should enjoy them for years.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The Colts shoot well and are a pleasure to shoot. I am concerned that if a part breaks, it will be difficult to locate a replacement, and if it is replaced it will decrease the value of the gun.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bisley06; How many 1st generation SAAs & Bisleys,unless they have been kept in unfired condition(probably engraved pieces) DO NOT have some replacement internal parts??? Like it or not,the SAAs were(are) fragile! But you could literally make them "work" by "improvising in the field. Bolts,Bolt
/trigger return springs,mainsprings,as well as hammer/trigger sears can break.

I have 3 1st Gens,the best being one of the last Bisleys made;a 4.75" 38/40 that was factory refinished,circa 1950,but original bbl. etc. This gun would be insome peoples safe-not mine! 1902,old full reblue,also 38/40 4.75'.but with a late model Uberti bbl,and "extra" .41 Colt cyl. completes the package. Then,I have a "mixed" numbered 7.5" 32/20,that has a flatened top strap,and a dovetail front sight. All of these guns shoot wonderfully,with moderate handloads(smokeless). Even one of the first thousand 2nd gens, produced,mostly of pre war parts,in 1955,a .38 Special,99% gets semi annual range exercise with 38.44 level handloads.

Unless the SAA is very rare in configuration,provenance to a famous person,or engraved/inlaid,I'd shoot them and enjoy them! One frustration,might be,the lack of "regulation" with the fixed sights; filing them MIGHT reduce the value of the gun,if it is done poorly or extensively.

Bud

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bud,
Thanks for the response. You're right, I'm not sure that my 1st generation Colts don't have replacement parts already. I know they've been reblued. You're also right there is a definate lack of regulation when shooting with the fixed sights. Interestinly enough my 1890 41 SAA shoots more accurately than my 1906 Bisley 38-40. With some changes in aiming I can even get a few bulls-eyes. I don't know how any cowboy ever hit anything with consistency in the Old West using his SAA. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts