Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some talk of the price of a 1st Generation SAA if only wanted for a shooter. I consider this as a good 1st Generation shooter at a reasonable price. Its a 7 1/2 inch .38-40 factory lettering to a hardware store in Salt Lake City in 1926. All numbers match, timing and lockup are nigh on perfect and it actually shoots to its sights with my handloads and Black Hills 180 grain cowboy factory loads. Grips are not original but came with the gun. I paid $1,900 plus shipping for it. I've had several .38-40 SAAs but I nabbed this one because 1st Generation .38-40s with 7 1/2 inch barrels seem fairly rare. By the way, it has not been reblued. Case colors on the frame are faded but are discernible. They don't show up well in the lighting I used. The barrel bluing has been messed with at some point but no buffing wheels have been near it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks good to me!

Reactions: MLV

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Nice looking gun. I had one like it and it was a joy to shoot. I think the BP 7 1/2 barrels are quite rare. Not sure about the smokeless.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Cloverleaf, possibly so. There is no pitting but something “disturbed” the bluing. Saintclair, I intend to hunt up proper grips someday or perhaps have a set of one piece straight grain walnut made. good thing about two piece grips is that they are faster to dismount if I want to stick the revolver in my machine rest. I’ve never had an inaccurate .38-40 as long as barrel/cylinder dimensions match.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice gun Duke. Like the leather too. If I were to change the grips I’d have to go one piece walnut.

7 1/2” 38 w.c.f. is possibly my favorite version of the SAA. Never owned a first gen in that barrel length but currently have two thirds. Had 4 3/4 and 5 1/2 that were first generation guns. I also have a 7 1/2” USFA and EMF Hartford. Add that to the 73 and 92 Winchesters might make it appear that it’s a favorite cartridge. 😀

Sent many thousand rounds down range in my 25 years shooting CAS. (Back when the C meant COWBOY)
Or Cowgirl as my wife shot with me. Her preferred cartridge.... 38-40.

Dan

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big Muddy: I'm with ya. My favorite cartridge for SAAs and Lever Guns bounces between .38-40 and .44-40. I have five 3rd Generation .38-40s, two 1st Generation and two '73 Winchester rifles and one '92 rifle and one '92 Carbine. Oh, and I forgot - a New Service .38-40 also.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Very nice gun Duke. Like the leather too. If I were to change the grips I’d have to go one piece walnut.

7 1/2” 38 w.c.f. is possibly my favorite version of the SAA. Never owned a first gen in that barrel length but currently have two thirds. Had 4 3/4 and 5 1/2 that were first generation guns. I also have a 7 1/2” USFA and EMF Hartford. Add that to the 73 and 92 Winchesters might make it appear that it’s a favorite cartridge. 😀

Sent many thousand rounds down range in my 25 years shooting CAS. (Back when the C meant COWBOY)
Or Cowgirl as my wife shot with me. Her preferred cartridge.... 38-40.

Dan
Dan,
I don't know where you live but NCOWS still keeps the "cowboy" in CAS. Welcome to NCOWS

·
Registered
230 Posts
I live in Missouri and was never aware of any NCOWS matches in my area. Drove to Iowa once a long time ago to shoot in one though.

Of the several 38-40’s I’ve owned or fired, I only had one that wouldn’t shoot. It was an 1894 Marlin with a rather large bore and bullets would keyhole. I have fired other Marlins that were tack drivers though.

Mike, did Rick Bachman make that holster? I’ve always admired that style. Perfect for a 7 1/2” gun.

Dan

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big Muddy. That holster is a product of Wolf Ears (Stan Dolega) of Laramie, WY. Many of my holsters are from his shop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dang it! Now you all got me looking thru my parts boxes and I found a 1st gen 7 1/2" black powder rifling Colt take off barrel and a first gen 38 WCF cylinder. Now I need to find another 1st gen donor. Dang it! 😁

1 - 20 of 27 Posts